KG4.2 with Quartet??

bhendrix

What center speaker are you using? I would at least match the 3 across the front. To me, the surrounds matching is not as much as an issue. I use Academy center w/ Forte II mains (matching) up front, but KG 2.5 surrounds due to size constraints. Either the Quartets or 4.2's will make great mains, but I imagine finding a center to match the 4.2's sonically would be an easier task.

Up front is where you want things to match up. The KG 4.2s will work fine as surrounds but you will never be really satisfied until you get another Quartet for the front. Will the KV-3 work for a while? Sure but if you're like most of us, youll keep wishin & hopin!

The klipsch website lists the 4.2's as matches for the kv-3, so sonically that would be your best match. However your ears will be the ones that will be your guides. Is it maybe the cosmetics of the Quartets you prefer over the kg's? Just curious. You have come to the right place. If you decide to find more Quartets or 4.2's, here's the place to locate them. Even better deals can be had here that on ebay.

Both the 4.2's and the Quartets do a good job with the deep base but the Quartet has better presence than the 4.2. No doubt because it's a three-way. The Quartet is very close to the Heresy in the mids and highs, but has better base than the Heresy. My orginal thought was to do a Heresy system with a sub, but I was surprised how good the Quartets are when I bought this pair. I'm not sure which way to go with the theater now. I need speakers the size of 4.2/Quartet or smaller for the theater because of cabinet size restrictions. I have Cornwalls for my 2 channel listening.

Not a real answer to your question, but my situation is similar. I am using ChorusIIs up front and KG4's in the rear of my somewhat small living room. I have regular guests and noone tells me the setup sounds anything short of great.

Oddly enough, after I upgraded the crossover caps in the Chorus last weekend, the KG4's (which had already been upgraded) sounded clearer! Sort of an overall unmasking effect. I asked a friend which speakers I had fixed and she pointed to the rear KG4's.

The whole setup sounds much more integrated now. This suggests that a uniform crossover cap upgrade to your system (Cornies too?) would help them get along better together.

You could probably find a single quartet for $200 or so, whereas an academy would start around $400 up to $7000 or more depending on condition on finish. You might post a WTB single quartet on this forum and see if one pops up. Just a thought: KG 4.2's in good shape could fetch somewhere between $300-400.

If you sold them You could certainly have enough for 1 pair of quartets, maybe even a 3rd.

----------------

On 4/16/2005 10:14:18 AM bhendrix wrote:

Exactly what did you do to the 4.2's and Chorus to upgrade the x-overs?

Thanks!

----------------

KG4's: Changed the tweeter caps to Dynamicaps (not cheap). Changed the woofer caps to Solens. Changed the inductors to open air (cannibilized pieces from a JBL crossover network, purchased used). All capacitance and inductance values remained the same, some voltage ratings were raised.

Chorus: Replaced the 2 each (blue) 2uf caps with polypropylenes by CSC of Santa Monica, CA that I purchased off of Ebay. Think I got a good deal on these; 1% tolerance, beautiful workmanship, 2uf @400v, possibly an overrun on an aerospace or military contract. Haven't messed with the rest of the network. The two cap replacement cleaned up things significantly, though.

Though the KG's and Chorus's caps didn't come from the same manufacturer, they are evidently similar enough to allow the speakers to complement each other in the system.

I'd guess that staying with the same origin components throughout the system will help them work together. IMHO capacitor upgrades can almost be considered periodic maintenance on speakers, something that should be done every several years, like it or not. I'd submit that you should stay with the same brand/type cap for upgrades throughout the system. If you upgrade your Quartet tweeter cap with Auricaps, use Auricap for the squawker and the KG tweeter, too. (Consider the same for the Cornwall's, they might need new caps by now.) The woofer caps aren't as critical. There are lots of guys on the forum who know more about caps than me, (Leok, AlK, DeanG to name a few) and there are lots of threads on the subject.

The Chorus and KG's are farther apart in the Klipsch lineup than the KG's and Quartet, but you wouldn't guess it in my living room.