Subwoofer Driver Replacements

Depending on the volume it sounds like rhythmic buzzing or farting. I just bought the 5.1 ultras on Ebay to replace my farting 4.1s. Im still going to try and replace the drivers and give them to a worthy friend. I suppose once I have a look at the drivers Ill know what to replace them with. I bought these speakers a few months after Klipsch introduced the Pro Medias and they've played loud and strong for years with no complaints. I figure I just wore them out.

Im looking at these replacement woofers for my 4.1s.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=295-308&DID=7

There 4ohm but they only go down to 33hz, which I dont think is a big deal. Theyre shielded whereas the Klipsch woofers are not. But theres room so no problem there. The only thing Im worried about is there only rated 50 watts RMS/75 watts max. The bash amp is sending 160 watts; I guess 80 watts per driver. I think it should handle it as long as I dont push it. Does anyone think Ill blow these as well?

BTW when I inspected the old woofers the rubber surrounds had deteriorated to the point where they just crumbled when you touched them.

so, do you think its rotting surrounds? I can tell for sure that there is some SERIOUSLY low bass in that movie. Im not surprised you blew them. Your going to have to have exact replacements for best results. Putting an other odd drivers in there is a guessing game. Not only is that cab and port optimized for those two drivers but so is the amp(pretty sure its eq'ed in the circuits). Call klipsch parts to order new ones. good luck, scp53

Klipsch Parts Department

Phone Number: 317-860-8100

Toll Free: 800-274-5547

E-mail: parts@klipsch.com

ps- re-doing the surround is probably not worth it. you would need a special long-excursion surround replacment(and the coils might even be bad. bottomed and/or fried).

The drivers in the 4.1 sub have the cheaper foam rubber surrounds which are prone to deterioration. The foam would grumble with a light touch so it wouldnt have taken much bass.

The satellites are still in good shape no need to replace them. The Dayton speakers work fine. Sounds the same as it did before. I had to hot glue the grills back on because they fit inside the old woofers. The shielding makes the magnets larger so you have to be careful the plate amp doesnt touch anything that can cause a short.