Forte problem...please help!

ajcllc

I recently noticed that one of my Forte's is louder than the other. The louder speaker has more bass and has more clarity. In the 'quieter' speaker when played at normal sound level it is not distorted. I then checked the midrange and woofer for any tears or cracks...nothing that I can see. I also switched the speaker locations hoping it was a placement issue. Nevertheless, the problem is still there. Also, when the speakers are turned up to a louder level one distorts and the other sounds fine. Some help would really be appreciated.

Did you try swapping the two speakers to eliminate the amp as being the problem?

I would try to examine all the wiring and the crossover looking for any connection problems. If all that looks good and you think a particular driver is the one that is lower, you might consider swapping the drivers between the two cabinets to see if the problem follows one driver.

Bob Crites

It could be a lot of things.

Test for a binding voice coil. BTW, only the front woofer has a voice coil.

With an open hand, push gently in on the front woofer and move it about 1/8th inch or maybe a little more. The travel should be smooth.

You may find that the quite one is binding. That means you need a replacement or a re-cone procedure to replace the voice coil.

When you do the gentle push, you should also check to see if the back drone moves out, in synch with front moving in. That will check for an air leak (but that doesn't seem like your problem).

Next, put an ear to the midrange horn to make sure that is working. A cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels can help as an improvised stethoscope.

Let us know what you find.

Gil

I did all of the above except for swapping the crossovers. Nothing has solved the problem yet. I then swapped the mids; I still hear the same problem. I then swapped the woofers...same problem. Now I will try to swap the crossovers hoping that will work!