KLF 30 Tweeter Scare

Mr. Blorry

I had a worrisome night last night when I thought I heard the tweeter in one of my 30s going south!

The best way I can describe the sound coming from the tweeter was the sound made when you try to pull to garmets apart that have just come out of the dryer--the sound of static electricity, that kind of crackley poppy sound. At first I thought it was the disc or the dvd player itself, but then I heard it again listening to regular program material from the television. I hope I didn't invalidate the warranty, but I carefully removed the midrange, only to find the sound was indeed from the tweeter. I could tap on it, and the sound would go away, only to return a few seconds later. Arrgh. Replaced the mid, took out the tweeter. Nothing appeared to be amiss, but I disconnected the wires and reconnected. Listened to it for a while with the speaker flat on its back, and never heard the noise return. Reinstalled the tweeter, stood her back up, and listened to the source material that originally caused the noise, the TV, tons of stuff, and the sound never returned. I have now replaced the grille cloth hoping it was just the speaker troll giving me a hard time. Haven't heard anything since, and the tweeter is operating wonderfully.

Anyone else notice this kind of sound from a tweeter? Was it fatal? These things are so new, and I'm scared!Eek.gif

I get that same sound occasionally when listening to direct tv through the stereo. Sounds pretty bad when it does this but only lasts a couple seconds then it's gone, sometimes doesn't happen again for a couple weeks. All other sources work fine................

Later

Mike

At first I thought it was the disc or the dvd player itself, but then I heard it again listening to regular program material from the television.

I am inclined to suspect that the noise is/was? the result of a connection problem or alternatively a hardware issue relating to your amplifier. Double check the wiring between your amp and your speakers and between all input sources and your amplifier. You might want to check the connection between your tweeter and the crossover one last time,(and then leave it the hello alone!).

This sounds more like a problem relating to the input signal being fed to your amp or the connection from the amp to your KLF's than a problem with the speaker system itself.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

Sorry it's taken so long to respond, but I haven't heard the crackly sound since!?! If you guys think it was from the interconnects, what was it I heard? Static discharge or crappy connection? I'm using high dollar Monster interconnects between my DVD player and the receiver and the TV, but I haven't heard any noise since that fateful night (Murphy's law will undoubtedly rear its ugly head on this one, though)

I am still inclined to suspect that the problem was to do the signal to the speaker rather than the speaker itself.

Generally speaking problems with speakers may be seen as being either mechanical,( eg. misaligned voice coils rubbing against the armature,torn cones,hyperexcursion causing speaker components to impact upon other devices in their forward or backward travel) or environmental,(eg. the speaker is operating in an environment which is incompatible - acoustically or physically with the speaker).

In either of those events the problem is unlikely to be intermittent. If a speaker sounds like hello for either of those causes it will always sound terrible when the conditions that led to the poor sonic quality are replicated.

The issues you describe are almost certainly related to the input signal.For speakers like computers the old acronym GIGO applies: Garbage In = Garbage Out.

Keep us posted.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

• 1 month later...

One more thing to check, because I had this problem with my KLF-20's, is the screws holding the magnet onto the horn. For me, it was midrange buzzing. When I took the speaker out, I noticed that a couple of the screws had worked loose. Tightened them down and volia, the buzz went away. Haven't heard it since. (2 years ago)

Matt

------------------

"The Legends Continue!"

Thanks for all the input. It's been over a month now, and I haven't heard the sound return. It must have been static electricity, because I can't possibly begin to replicate the problem! It's either that, or those nasty little gremlins that live inside my speakers have finally moved.