Two solid choices for May 3....

chuckears

We're picking up National Treasure and Phantom of the Opera next Tuesday... neither was a perfect film, but both were very enjoyable for different reasons, and both great family movies.

Unfortunately, it looks like Disney dropped the ball with the PQ on National Treasure; early reviews indicate a lot of edge enhancement, lack of detail, a generally bland presentation.

Phantom, however, looks to be a reference quality...

...and picked them both up today

The video on National Treasure did not seem as bad as reviewed, at least not on my 55" Mits. A FP setup might be a little less forgiving, according to reviewers, but I think it was worth the 14.99 I paid for it.

Phantom of the Opera looks terrific... the colors are vibrant, wonderful reds, very nice blacks and yellows; audio was mixed a little soft in places, but it was nothing the volume knob couldn't take care of.

These two, plus Friday Night Lights, are probably my favorite live-action acquisitions of the past couple of months.