Finally got the Speakers Right, and Something Completely Different

Olorin

Gotta love it when a plan comes together. A few weeks ago I bought the replacement horn and crossover for my UPS-ified Chorus II, Saturday I drove three hours each way to pick up a set of black Quartets and a matching Academy, and Sunday I installed the new parts in the Chorus and learned that all of the damage was cosmetic after all. No need to build a new cabinet! Excuse me while I do Snoopy's happy dance.

So now with a pair of Chorus IIs flanking an Academy up front and a pair of Quartets in the back, the ole HT sounds better than it ever has. All of the speakers are black, so now that everything matches cosmetically as well as sonically the WAF measures an astounding 9.2.

I'm thrilled. The Klipsch portion is complete and everything I had hoped for. There is still room for improvement, of course. The Quartets need proper mounting on the walls -- thinking TV mounts for that -- to get them up nice and high. Acoustic treatments are required and probably next in line. The receiver needs improving, and my little Velodyne CHT-10 that was a fine match for the Heresys just can't begin to keep up with what I have now. Just the same, getting the Chorus IIs up front, the Academy between them, and properly matching full-range surround speakers is a quantum leap. Maybe six. 9.gif

The downside is that the two pairs of Heresys need new homes. I've offered them up, but no one seems interested in fixer-uppers. Can't say I blame them, so I figure I'll do the fixer-uppering and let people buy them plug-and-play. Any opinions on what the most sellable finish would be? WO?

9.2 on the WAF, wow you surely are doing something right. Glad to hear you got your Academy. You were correct when you told me the right one was out there.

My $0.02 worth on the Heresy refinish. If you are going to make them pretty for the purpose of resale I would go with something exotic like GaryMD's Zebra wood. I have a custom built entertainment system done in Tiger Stripe Maple and it gets tons of comments from visitors. You figure there are still may WO beauties that will pop up on ebay and bring 400-600. If you had a truly unique pair they would easily bring that. Heck, GaryMD's Z.W. ones would have to bring 850-1000 I would think. Then again you would limit yourself out of contention with the buyers looking to match with other speakers. I bet you could get the most $$$ by parting them out. As nasty as that seems it might bring the most cash.

Congrats on your current set up. I know the C/A/C up front is a killer sounding HT. Next step two more Quartets to go 7.1???

LOL Rich, no, after the receiver upgrade I hang the second Academy for 6.1. There's no way I can do 7.1 until the next house. Meanwhile I think Mrs. Olorin is eyeballing that Academy for "her" Fortes. 9.gif

Your thinking on the Heresys is just like mine. I was leaning toward a nice red Mahogany when I was going to do them for myself, and I know that could bring some $$$, but I think it also limits my pool of potential buyers substantially. That, and I'm not really out to make money on them. I really just want to break even on the Quartet/Academy deal I just made, so by "sellable" I really had in mind to move them in less time rather than for more money.

And yes, you're right about parting them out, but I don't want to do that. It just feels icky. I know there must be someone out there with some Corns or Scalas that needs to round out an HT, or has a relative that needs some starter Klipsch, or that wants a small two channel system, and these could be the ticket for them if we can meet on the cosmetics of them. Time will tell, I guess, though I suupose if I'm going to put the work into a veneer I might as well go big. It's the same labor for the mundane wood as it is for the exotic stuff.

Yes, it has crossed my mind to route off the front lip, flush mount the drivers, and make decorator mahoganies out them. 11.gif9.gif

Well I might be interested in a pair of beat up Heresy IIs...what kind of a price you looking for? I live near Chicago so shipping costs might be a bit of a concern. I've been trying to score a pair of Heresy II's in really bad shape so that I don't have to pay a lot for them 2.gif

FYI, I just shipped two heresies. One from Baltimore to N.C. and one form Baltimore to CT. I used UPS and packed the heck out of it...they were a little over 50 pounds each once packed up. They cost aprox 25 dollars each to send to those two locations. I would think CA to Chitown would be a bit more, but it is the initial few miles that cost the most. Longer shipments dont go up linearly as the miles go up. That might at least give you a real world example over ups web site.

Dr Who. Next time you are down town hit up The Weiners Circle at Clark and Fullerton and have a Char-cheddar dog with everything for me. Best hot dogs bar none!

Sadly I won't be able to take him up on this deal. Saylavee or however that's spelled.

Thanks for the kind words and I'll be sure to get a hotdog the next time I'm up in Chicago. I'm not a big hotdog fan so I'll just let my girlfriend eat it (she loves hotdogs).