Field coil systems

ben.

I'm at home on my laggard dial up, and it's tough to search for detailed info on this.

Can anyone "nutshell" the interaction between a field coil speaker and the power amp driving it? Specifically, what impedance does a typical field coil present to the amplifier? My initial hunch is that it's quite high. If that is the case, what is required to make an amplifier designed for a field coil speaker work properly with a permanent magnet speaker? Would it be necessary to change OPTs?

I can't give you the whole magella, but I can share this: In the past, some tube amps, primarily in large console radio/radio-phonos, used the field coil of the electrodynamic speaker as a choke for the power supply. That is still possible, but it requires a custom design of the amp to permit the fieldcoil to do 'double duty'.

AA is a very busy forum, and even within the subsets like Hi Eff, it takes a while to find useful info. I'd suggest going to a cybercafe or library with a fast connection and doing your searches there.

AS I recall it, the field coil served two purposes, as a smoothing choke in a B+ power supply and eliminated the need for a permanent magnet in the speaker. To use an amp designed for a field coil speaker you would need to use a smoothing choke in the B+ supply and a permanent magnet speaker with a voice coil matching the output transformer. The B+ supply *may* work out with a resistor in place of the choke....

• Like 1