Choices choices - Please Help!

fgarib

Hi Guys!

Recently, I really picked the brains of a few people here, namely Shawn and Erik regarding multi channel music and systems.

Now I've boiled it down to the following choices, and I want to either pull the trigger or simply put it behind me and never (yeah right!!) think about it again.

My current system includes:

Rotel CD-01 CD Player

1971 K-Horns (currently being re-veneered)

Vintage Pioneer TT (with a brand new Shure cartridge)

McIntosh MA 6400 SS Integrated.

Let me begin by saying that all of this was put together after a full year of chatting with you guys and finally settling down on this setup. And I absolutely adore it. Especially the Mac. Just got the TT up and running so haven't really spent too much time on it, but so far so great.

But since the extremely informative threads on multi channel music were started by Erik, I have started reading up on it and getting demos arranged for me. Read a few manuals etc, and realized that this is something that I really would like to get into. Thus, I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking for some input. A few of you were kind enough to get me pushed into the right direction, and I have now come to this crossroads.

A brand new Krell KAV 500 (5 channel amp with rave reviews, but discontinued) and a Lexicon MC-1 (again brand new, again rave reviews, and again discontinued) are both available here. The trick is that I would have to get rid of my Mac and pay about 3 grand over and above it.

Some obvious drawbacks to this are that I would have to get another pre for my TT, as I don't believe the Lex has a Phono in. If I DO go with this setup, however, I have an old Klipsch center channel that used to match my Heresies. And for the rears I would use Kef Reference Series Bookshelves and I have a strong feeling that this would end up being a very very decent surround set up.

Losing sleep at nights! 8.gif What would you do?

-Fauzi

I'm not positive what route you're considering here, but I think you're talking about deriving extra channels from a two-channel source. If that is so, I would advise against it. The better way to get multi-channel is to have a multi-channel source, available on SACD and DVD-A in high quality, and in lower quality on select 5.1 channel music DVDs.

Multi-channel source recordings are professionally mixed for multi-channel playback. Stereo recordings, of course, are mixed for two-channel playback. While it's possible to enjoy the results of deriving additional channels of music at home from a two-channel source, it pales in comparison to true, discrete channels. In a similar vein, it'd be hard to find a music fan who seeks electronically processed stereo records made from a mono mix.

Paul,

"I'm not positive what route you're considering here, but I think you're talking about deriving extra channels from a two-channel source."

Well, kind of but not exactly. That was the starting point, obviously. After following the aforementioned thread about Erik's Lexicon comments, I started reading into these processors and really researching them. Though I couldn't find the DC-1 mentioned in that thread, I was able to mess around with an MC-1, and, for a longer period a Meridien 568.2... And suffice it to say that they definitely do more with 2 channel into multi channel than anything I had even thought about earlier.

However, having said all of that, you are absolutely right about multi-channel recordings being far superior in this regard. But that's part of my dilemna also. I would like to expand into multi-channel music (with the possibility of SACD, DVD-A, etc.) and also come back to 2-channel music for the bulk of my listening. Which is why I wonder if a Krell multi channel amp would behave nearly as well as my Mac with the KHorns if I bypass all processing for good ol' fashioned stereo.

Peter,

You're right about the Kefs not being very efficient. I don't have the documentation with me, but from what I remember their efficiency is in the early 90's, if that even. However, don't tell my wife, but I have a pair of KG's lying around which might just sneak up into the set up some day! :)

Colin,

"don't think Krell compares to Mac for super-efficient horns!"

You've waded through the long drawn out post of mine and come right down to the crux of the matter. Unfortunately, that's not what I wanted to hear. I'm convinced that the Lex would do well with the horns. I just want some power that will do justice to both the Lex and the KHorns in plain two channel.

Further opinions welcome, guys.

-F

----------------

On 5/4/2005 1:45:47 PM fgarib wrote:

However, don't tell my wife, but I have a pair of KG's lying around which might just sneak up into the set up some day!
:)

-F

----------------

Not quite the same situation you're dealing with, but my KG4's work surprisingly well with my ChorusII's driven by my Yamaha 7.1.