JBL 2397 / Smith Horns

I am aiming this at Maron more than anyone else, but am curious enough to ask who has used the 2397 horns? Which drivers, and what was the lower crossover point?

I have figured out some simple jigs for holding wood to cut, and these seem far easier to make than I had at first thought. The only difficult part will be the throat adapter, either to buy ($$$$) or make (more difficult than the rest of the horn).

From a WAF standpoint, these are way better than a 511B or 811B anyday. Of course, hiding them behind some grillclothe helps out but these are just cool looking.

Marvel

I used to use some 1" homemade Smith horns (made from plans from a 1950s magazine article) with JBL 2420 drivers, crossed at 800hz. I thought they sounded very smooth. The dispersion was wider though than worked in my room so I sold them to Freddy over at the AA HE forum.

I think they're pretty good and worth a try.

There are alot of references and plans available on the Lansing heritage site. But the first ones I heard were 40 years ago. A scientist who worked closely with Paul Klipsch on woofer cone treatment for the Khorn. George Ashworth. Also new Smith the designer of the famous Horns & was published in Audio Engineering magazine some time in the 50,s. The ashworth version of the Smith horns were huge ( about 31" wide) At first he had the University driver. The horn was designed for a 1" driver. I talked him into going to a 2" driver the JBL 375 So in about a month he had the larger horns built. George was in the process of making the transition adapters. When i walked in with JBL 2328 metal horn throats. George also made smaller Mini Smith horns for JBL 175 drivers to use as tweeters. They sat on top of the the larger Smith horns. the xover fit in a special case shaped like the larger horns (fan shaped) & fit under the horn. Remember this was before the 2404 JBL baby cheeks tweeter That i now use. George did not like the JBL 075 tweeter ( I agree) He compared them to a sound bullet between the eyes. Paul Klipsch came to visit at this time. bringing the K5 I must say a scizhem of great proportions accoured that night. Paul went his way on mid horns & George kept his Smith horns untill his death in 1991. I was in Chicago for the C.E.S I had a odd funny feeling the last day of the show. When Debbie & I got back the next day A message on the answereing machine gave the sad message. I have some of the original Smith horns he made. I also have the JBL 2397 horns licenced From Bob Smith. I understand Bob Smith is still alive. One of the fellows on the Lansing forum has talked to him. The JBL 2397 Smith horns are 26" wide, cut off frequency of 300hz. Georges went down to 170hz. How do they sound? Wonderful.

Tom,

The DIY version is interesting, as the vanes come way out almost to the front edges.

I got the drawings from Mr. Widget, on the Lansing Heritage forums. Figured a couple of easier ways to make the vanes, and thought I would try them along with the corner horns I am going to get built this summer. Now the wife even knows I'm planning on it so it will be a go now. 2.gif

Thanks for the info. I thought the horn would go low enough. Would it work as a two way or will I still need a tweeter on top?

Marvel

ps This is a custom pair that Mr. Widget was selling for a while. He said he can't afford it. These almost make me drool...

2397_1b.jpg

Marvel--As for whether a 2-way would work; well that depends on your taste in high frequency energy and what driver you use.

JBL and Altec (and the new Iconics I presume) 1" drivers always satisfied me with their highs. Others find them kind of dull and that's understandable. But with some EQ they can sparkle more.

Large-format drivers such as 1.4" Altecs or 2" JBLs will roll-off even sooner but with EQ can make nice highs, at least the Altecs can.

My opinion and experience ya understand.

Marvel.....I have the Smith horns with the septas both ways. The JBL units come half way. The larger units as perscribed by Bob Smith, the septas come all the way out to the edge of the lip. Some units when the septas only go half way, the outer lip is TAPERED back to the septas. WIDGETS horns are a little different the outer lips are cut on an slight angle rather than a slow long taper. His are patteren,d after Westlake Moniters. All are slight variations. I cant hear the dofference. you dont have to make them as thick.

The 2397s I have seen the septas don't come out as far either.

Having a basic plan is good, so I will probably follow Widget's plans to try it.

Thanks for the input.

Marvel

Marvel---If you want to do a three-way and still use a metal diaphragm high performence driver bring the tweeter in gradually at a high frequency, 10 to 15 khz with a first order high pass. Just let the mid driver rolloff naturally.

I've done this and heard other fellas do it and it can work very well. Fostex horn tweeters work very well doing this, so do piezos. Experiment with an active crossover to find the best spot for a blend.

I think I was looking at a Fostex 100HT. Not very heavy magent structure that we all seem to like, but it's only $30-$40. That certainly fits MY price range. 2.gif

Marvel