KG-4 Replacements

I have had a pair of Klipsch KG-4's for 15 years. Great, vibrant sound especially with rock music and home theatre special effects. I am looking for a replacement with similar sonic qualities but possible more oomph/presence as I have a larger room now. Looking to spend less than $1K. Any suggestions for new or used speaker models?

Thanks...

Speaking as a current KG4 owner (and current Heresy II and La Scala owner), I would suggest a pair of Cornwalls.

Why? Because you said you like the KG4s but need more horsepower for a larger room. The KG4s have great lows and great highs but no mids to speak of. The Cornwall will give you those great lows (even better then the KG4 can) and will also give great highs...but the real secret is the midrange horn. That horn will literally breath new life into your music. The effect is stunning, to say the least. You'll notice it immediately. And since the midrange is what makes up the bulk of the musical information we listen to, it's no small detail. The KG4s cones simply cannot give the detail, the overall presentation, or the "oomph" that the Cornwalls compression-driven horn can. Vocals and instruments will sound very "real" and "in the room" with the Cornwall's midrange horn.

The reason I'm not recommending La Scalas is because you're used to the low end of the KG4s. The La Scalas will certainly give you mids and highs that will totally leave you breathless but the lack of bottom-end will probably make you scratch your head and wonder what's wrong, relatively speaking. The KG4s give excellent bass and in my opinion, if you're used to that, you should stick with a speaker that goes just as low if not lower.

The Fortes or Choruses could work for you too. The Fortes go deeper then the KG4s or Cornwalls but don't sound as BIG or WIDE-OPEN as the Cornwalls do. The Choruses can give the same midrange as the Cornwall, but don't go as low. To chose either of them would be a compromise that could be avoided by simply going with the Cornwalls.

The only thing more "balanced" then the Cornwalls that can deliver that BIG sound is the Klipschorn, which, incidentally, delivers the BIGGEST sound. Only problem is, you'll spend around $2000 for a used pair versus $750 for a pair of Cornwalls.

Given your $1000 budget, the Cornwalls seem to be the ticket in my judgement.

Hope this helps.

-H2G

Hmmm...It's been a few days and I just re-read this post and had another thought.

If you are really looking for something with the KG4's "sonic qualities" (deep low bass with sparkling highs but with muted, "relaxed" mids) maybe you should think about the new Reference series.

Like the KG4, they're all two-way speakers with two woofers for the bass and mids and a horn for the highs (the Reference series uses a ported enclosure though, instead of a passive radiator like on the KG4).

The Reference lineup has more midrange "presence" then the KG4s, but compared to the three-way Klipsches that use a horn for the midrange (especially the non-tractrix heritage series), they seem very laid-back.

Maybe this could be your ticket...

-H2G

----------------

On 5/9/2005 11:44:05 PM heresy2guy wrote:

The Fortes or Choruses could work for you too. The Fortes go deeper then the KG4s or Cornwalls but don't sound as BIG or WIDE-OPEN as the Cornwalls do. The Choruses can give the same midrange as the Cornwall, but don't go as low. To chose either of them would be a compromise that could be avoided by simply going with the Cornwalls.

-H2G
----------------

I agree with Heresy2guy.

I would however suggest you consider keeping the KG4s and employing them for the rear channels. Add the Cornwalls up front. There are some here on the forum that might say this won't work timbre and voice wise, etc. I'd reply that this approach is absolutely worth a try.

I'm using the KG4's as rear channel with some ChorusII "replacements" and I'm glad I kept them! Everything is there, midrange detail, floorshaking bass, dynamics; visitors are always impressed. Upgrading crossover caps in both sets of speakers helped keep the overall timbre matched.

If you try this, and it doesn't work out for you, then you can sell the KG's.

I upgraded from KG4s to Cornwalls several years ago. The day I brought them home, I stayed up nearly all night - on a work night - listening (it was like a religious experience!). So, I would highly recommend Cornwalls for your upgrade.

Also, keep the KG4s for another room (if you have the room and a second amp or receiver), but I cannot recommend the KG4s as rear surrounds with Cornwalls in front. It is not terrible, but I was not really satisfied until I replaced them with Heresys for the rears.

D D,

I am also a KG 4 Owner. I would really recommend the Fortes!!!!! I had some (and sold them- 15.gif ), but the sound was fantastic, and I really enjoyed there sound stage- to me they were a beautiful speaker! They are taller than the KG 4, but equal in width to the KG 4'S

So they don't overtake the room. In Addition, they can be placed straight forward -to achieve there beautiful sound...........JMHO!

Good Luck.