Heresy and grill ?

seti

I met someone with a pair of 1976 Heresy's that they are parting with because they are getting all new klipsch inwalls. He said they are decorator with cain grills. He said the magic words "fair price" lol hope to see them soon. Was 76 a good year for them?

I mentioned the cane grills to a friend and he said something about grills adversly affecting the sound. That doesn't sound right to me anything to the theory of grills affecting sound?

1976 was a GREAT year for anything Heritage. There are many of us here who own and enjoy that vintage.

Cane grills, IMHO, are just gorgeous. I haven't done A/B comparisons as to which are the most sound-transparent, so I'll just leave that as is. I would guess that PWK wouldn't have comprimised the sound if the cloths were inhibitive in any way.

Seti,

I have the exact speakers you've mentioned in my bedroom ('76 Designer Heresys). I find them to be exceptionally nice sounding - so much so that I'm looking for some 70's vintage Corns to replace my Chorus I's with.

They'll have the AlNiCo mids and tweeters, if they're original.

If they have (factory) grilles on them, they don't come off. The cloth is stretched over the front of the speaker, stapled on, and trim is nailed in place. Mine don't have grilles.

As far as the grilles affecting sound, I believe they do. I can sure hear the difference with the grilles off on my Chorus I's. Keep in mind that the fabric is pretty thick on these, and differs from what comes on a Heresy.