power cord ?

seti

I have a friend that works in a hospital and when they are getting rid of medical equipment he saved the power cords. He finally has all the power cords he wants and gave me a few but I told him I didn't think it would make any difference to the sound and the jury is still out on that one for me. He said if I didn't think that power cords made any difference that I should hook them up to a computer monitor and see if I notice a difference in the picture quality. I tried this and I had to admit the picture looked better with the medical grade power cords. Just for the sake of argument I am going to have a friend swap power cables without telling me which is which but I doubt I'll notice. I must admit I was very suprised that power cords made a difference in picture quality in fact had I read this on the internet I would have used PWK phrase BS.

Has anyone else tried this?

No, but when I moved my monitor here at work I had to unplug it. In that process, the monitor reverted back to the factor settings for contrast/brightness.

Any chance your monitor changed settings when you changed power cables? Just a thought...

----------------

On 5/16/2005 7:46:47 AM InFlux wrote:

No, but when I moved my monitor here at work I had to unplug it. In that process, the monitor reverted back to the factor settings for contrast/brightness.

Any chance your monitor changed settings when you changed power cables? Just a thought...

----------------

Ahhhh hadn't thought of that good call yes absolutely that could have happened.

I tried unplugging another monitor and plugging it back in but that didn't change anything however they are both very different monitor. I wish I had those cords with me so I can try again.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 9:26:40 AM spaaaz wrote:

Oh no! dont you dare say that cords make a difference.they will tear you apart
9.gif

----------------

Oh crap I forgot that was one of the flame bait topics.

Please I was only curious and not wanting to cause a riot this time.

I like to try things out for myself regardless of what other people say. Just think if I had been a newbie and hanging out on a bose forum and only listened to other peoples opinions and not the speakers I could have ended up with bose and solid state.

I haven't said I heard a difference because I haven't however the argument that I could tell a difference in image quality with different cables would prove not all cables are created equal. That being said I haven't proven anything it could very well have been that the monitor resorted to default settings.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 7:22:45 AM seti wrote:

I have a friend that works in a hospital and when they are getting rid of medical equipment he saved the power cords. He finally has all the power cords he wants and gave me a few but I told him I didn't think it would make any difference to the sound and the jury is still out on that one for me. He said if I didn't think that power cords made any difference that I should hook them up to a computer monitor and see if I notice a difference in the picture quality. I tried this and I had to admit the picture looked better with the medical grade power cords. Just for the sake of argument I am going to have a friend swap power cables without telling me which is which but I doubt I'll notice. I must admit I was very suprised that power cords made a difference in picture quality in fact had I read this on the internet I would have used PWK phrase BS.

Has anyone else tried this?

----------------

Why is it that this subject, which has been beaten to death on every audio forum on the internet, continues to be resurected? It leads to nowhere, like sand amps vs. tubes, or SET vs. push-pull. Why waste the space and bandwidth with a topic that will only lead to childish name calling, and result in nothing? Opinions on wire are like politics and religion, and have no useful place on an audio forum as large and diverse as this one. It will only lead to an enormous waste of time and flaming. In my OPINION, the only useful discussions on wire pertain to it's usee in the repair and rebuilding of equipment, where it's characteristics do make a difference (like is it flexible enough to fit, or is it adequately sheilded?) etc.

Do a search on ANY forum, and you'll get all the palaver you could ever possibly want to read, about power cords and wire.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 9:34:57 AM seti wrote:

----------------

On 5/16/2005 9:26:40 AM spaaaz wrote:

Oh no! dont you dare say that cords make a difference.they will tear you apart
9.gif

----------------

Oh crap I forgot that was one of the flame bait topics.

Please I was only curious and not wanting to cause a riot this time.

I like to try things out for myself regardless of what other people say. Just think if I had been a newbie and hanging out on a bose forum and only listened to other peoples opinions and not the speakers I could have ended up with bose and solid state.

I haven't said I heard a difference because I haven't however the argument that I could tell a difference in image quality with different cables would prove not all cables are created equal. That being said I haven't proven anything it could very well have been that the monitor resorted to default settings.

----------------

If you don't care what other people say, then why did you ask what others have done or thought? You'd be hard pressed to convince me that you didn't know what you were getting started.