Put a cooling fan on my Harman Kardon 635!

kenratboy

I have a bunch of 80mm case fans hanging around, and while excavating mu 'cable' box in my closet, I found a Radio Shack 700mA 6v transformer in my closet and got (way too) exicted.

So, after testing, stripping ( 6.gif ), and taping, I finally had a DEAD silent cooler with good air flow (air flow like blowing moderatly hard onto your hand up close)

I know the unit is OK, but the cooler, the better.

I visited FOrum member MikeWebb's place this spring. He has one of the larger HK HT receivers and the heat was like 130 degrees! Tech said shouldn't get above 110, so he built a line of mini-boxer fans (5 or 6) that sits on the top, front edge of his HK and sucks air out of the unit and shelving unit. He's got like 8 inches clear on top and still too much heat.

Is this common with HK units? My Yammie gets hot when I'm in HT mode LOUD and it has a mini fan inside that kicks in. Still pretty warm.

How Hot is too Hot?!?!?

Michael

I always felt like if I can't put my hand on it, its waaaayyyyy too hot.

I always run fans on my equipment. Since I am a computer tech, I always have small fans laying around. That & an ac/dc wall adapter is all that is needed for a really cool system 6.gif

Good idea...HK AVRs really do run hot...I've had an AVR120 and an AVR525...the 525 ran extremely hot, even though I only ran it 5.1 channel (and all 8 ohm Polk speakers, nothing fancy or hard to run). The internal cooling fan used to run all of the time...and I had it in an armoire with 6" room behind, 6" to the sides and 8" above...always with the doors open. I never had it shut down, though. Once my wife left it powered on and shut the armoire doors. I opened them up the next day and the heat just rolled out...not quite like an oven but very hot nonetheless.