Projector information

mandi

I want to purchase a projector. It will serve a dual purpose. I will use it in the classroom and I also want to occasionally show a movie Outside (more of a novalty thing than anything, but I want the picture to be decent). I want to spend less than 1500 and would prefer it to be closer to 1k. I have looked at the Infocus X3 and the Toshiba TDP - T90U.

Both do 2000:1 contrast ration

Both do 1024 x 768

Both do 16:9 Aspect ratio

Both will give me the screen size I want

LUMENS

Toshiba - 2200 Infocus - 1600

Toshiba - $1400 Infocus - $1100

Is the difference in the lumens worth 300 bucks

Lamp life - Toshiba - 2000 hours, new lamp - 360

Infocus - 4000 hours, new lamp - 299

So the 600 lumens are really starting to cost me, what would the images look like side by side. I know there may not be many if any that have seen both of these but I figured I would throw it out.

Thanks

I just took a look at the web sites. The Infocus X3 is the office multimedia version of the 4805 HT Projector. The Toshiba TDP-T90U is the office multimedia version of the TDP MT200 HT projector. I have viewed both extensively and the Toshiba is the better one. But you would be happy with either of them.

Keep in mind that he office versions do not have DVI with HDCP which may be needed in the future to look at copy protected HD movies.

You also have to be carefull with the specs. Usually the lumens is at the bulb's highest output, while the Contrast ration is at the lowest output. I suggest wait for a sale and pick the best buy.

Just a thought mandi, but if cost is a prime factor, you might want to read a recent article posted on Projectorcentral.com concerning projector resolution. It might be that for your particular requirements, a lower resolution projector will suffice. Let's face it, 1024x768 is HiDef territory, so if you don't need that resolution, why pay for it? The money you save could go towards a spare bulb, a screen, or a higher lumens output projector.

Anyhow....just a thought.

Tom