Klipsch Forte and Forte II

CatManFever

I agree with you on Klipsch. Lot of posts about their "new" speaker lines are complaints about quality.

I really don't like their new speakers. They seem to be making them like everybody else. There's no styling to it, they look cheap, crappy, etc. It's sad! Klipsch is beginning to slowly turn me off. Time to look for another great speaker company. Problem is, there ain't any... not with the history of Klipsch anyway.

The only speaker I still admire from them that is still being built is maybe the KLIPSCHHORN. But it requires two great corners spaced right, and they don't offer them in exotic wood veneers anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by TBrennan:

Cat Man---The technology of good speakers hasn't changed appreciably (save the change from field-coil to permanent magnets in the 40s) since the 1930s when guys like Wente, Thuras, Olson, Hilliard, Voight and Lansing, with the resouces of the Phone Company and the radio and motion picture industries behind them, pretty much nailed down the right way to make good speakers. The advances since then have been in making the bad speakers better. Don't worry about age, many high quality speakers from the 1930s are still running well and sounding good. A fella I know recently heard Lansing Iconics from the 1930s and was very impressed! The Klipsch company is now going after the big money, something old PWK evidently wasn't very interested in. There's much more money to be made selling bad small speakers than in good large ones; any good speaker will of neccesity be large.

cwm36.gif

CatMan---Well JBL is still around and thier history goes right back to the 1930s and the MGM Shearerhorn. Word is that the company is seriously considering selling the big no-holds-barred home horn rigs that they now sell only in Japan here in The States. For a look at some of these Super-JBLs like the Everest and K2 and a great deal of information on the history of Altec and JBL going WAY back look at www,audioheritage.org/ Classic Audio Reproductions up in Michigan is making no compromise horn rigs using JBL and TAD components, one speaker they make is a reproduction of the famous JBL Hartsfield cornerhorn speaker. Westlake Audio makes a range of very high quality horn studio monitors and home speakers, they also use TAD and JBL components. And you can always buy motion picture theater horn speakers from EV and JBL (EV is also a very old company with a great deal of history)but no exotic veneers for them. :-)

Thanks for that information. That looks interesting. Will keep an eye on these companies. I have heard of Westlake Audio making horns. Have never seen a review of other horn speakers. Checked out the website.

quote:

Originally posted by TBrennan:

CatMan---Well JBL is still around and thier history goes right back to the 1930s and the MGM Shearerhorn. Word is that the company is seriously considering selling the big no-holds-barred home horn rigs that they now sell only in Japan here in The States. For a look at some of these Super-JBLs like the Everest and K2 and a great deal of information on the history of Altec and JBL going WAY back look at www,audioheritage.org/ Classic Audio Reproductions up in Michigan is making no compromise horn rigs using JBL and TAD components, one speaker they make is a reproduction of the famous JBL Hartsfield cornerhorn speaker. Westlake Audio makes a range of very high quality horn studio monitors and home speakers, they also use TAD and JBL components. And you can always buy motion picture theater horn speakers from EV and JBL (EV is also a very old company with a great deal of history)but no exotic veneers for them. :-)

• 2 years later...

I don't think you are being open-minded. If you saw my 1980 zebrawood cornwalls, you would think they were brand new. They sound amazing also. This was before MDF was used. Sometimes the build quality in the older speakers exceed those of the newer. Check out a few late 70s to early 80s klipsch heritage speakers and you'll find out what I'm talking about.

"showing their age".

lol.

In audio, more than any other technology related area, this thing about "age" is more in the mind of the believers than in the sound they are getting.

True, electronics change, manufacturing process change, cabinets can be pretty and well done and still being cheap (china, thanks) and of course, new digital gizmos appear very often.

But...

And "old" state of the art equipment, say Khorns with old tubes and a TT, can sound as good as the latest digital amp with sacd and the latest "aereospace technology" speakers you can find.

Why?

Because sound, or more exactly, how the brain can interpret sound, is way more complex than whatever technology is able to replicate.