Three matching LaScala's or RF-7's/RC-7's for the front three?

kenratboy

Oh my... Are you thinking about a massive upgrade?

3 La Scala's need a good sub, that's for sure. And they would work best at least 18 feet part. So it might depend on the room. But it could sound 85% of the way to a pair of Khorns and a center La Scala.

I've never heard the RF-7. The Klipsch dealer here stops at the RF-35 (or was it RF-25?).

11.gif

Yeah. Just a 'little' upgrade...maybe.

For now, the speakers would not be setup well, but in a few years, things would change.

Just getting an idea. Being able to use LaScala's for the front three is a dream (Khorns are really not doable, cannot count on corners)

Very nice.

Even my F3's are crampt (13' X 13' bedroom) as is, and I wish I could give them some more breathing room.

I will have my own family room eventually (our house has DOUBLED in value in the last THREE years, I will need a nice job to get ANYTHING) - so I am planning on that,

You want to put 3 La Scala's in your bedroom?

Tell me you'll use your family's "family room" for the La Scala's, right?

13' on the side is not very big for La Scala's, but it might work. For me, it sounded okay at 11' and fantastic at 18'...

I wouldn't think that 8' would be a wide enough soundstage to let three LaScalas breathe... don't get me wrong, this is one of my own dream configurations, with either 5-6 LaScalas for 5.2 or 6.2 (the ".2" being a couple of PB12-Ultras); I could just not imagine that much full-hornage in that small a space.

I'm with psg on this one; I think anything under about 15', and you're looking at overkill with the LaScalas...

I wrote 13' because you wrote 13'x13' above...

8' is too small. Sorry. Your head will explode. The 3 La Scala's will take up 6 feet of that 8 feet, with only 1 foot between each. Even a diehard Klipsch fan will think you are crazy, so imagine what your parents will think.

'Your head will explode'- ROTFLMAO Peter, good one.

NO KIDDING, I used to have have two Gollehon PA cabinets in my apartment bedroom- two 15" each and huge Peavy style horn. It was ridiculous. Peter and Indy are right, you need lots more room. If you'd like to experiment with the Heritage sound, why not spring for a pair of Heresy for now? They'll not take up much space, and when you get the BIG HOUSE, surely there will be a study or rec room you can use them in. Or they'd make great surrounds for your eventual LS system.

Always plan on upgrades, they WILL happen!

Michael

I will have one and one shot only to get these speakers at a price I can afford. After that, poof, gone.

I will be living at home for a few more years - after that, my first house. These speakers will be with me for a very long time, so even if I have a stereo pair where my Chorus II's are (downstairs system) and keep the third in storage, I will be ready to use them.

If you had ONE SHOT to get something, would this be it?

I cannot do Khorns, I know they are 'better', but I simply cannot count on having corners (seriously, the architecture in the region is all cute and there is no place!)

I will have one and one shot only to get these speakers at a price I can afford. After that, poof, gone.

I will be living at home for a few more years - after that, my first house. These speakers will be with me for a very long time, so even if I have a stereo pair where my Chorus II's are (downstairs system) and keep the third in storage, I will be ready to use them.

If you had ONE SHOT to get something, would this be it?

I cannot do Khorns, I know they are 'better', but I simply cannot count on having corners (seriously, the architecture in the region is all cute and there is no place!)

Well, we always think it's the only chance we get... In all honesty, I think you should be buying them now because if you're still living with your parents and will be buying a house in a few years, you won't have any money to buy them after you buy the house. 2.gif

I got my LS when I was living with my parents, 25 years ago, and I still own them. So you're right about that. As for not having the room for KHorns, I thought that until a month ago and now I own a pair! 9.gif

So you never know...

What sort of deal have you found?

I have 3 La Scalas on a 15 X 15 foot wall and it is a little too small but 8 feet is too small. If you have the money and your parents don't mind storing one in the garage until you move out then buy them.

Xman

Why don't you just hang on to the synergy for now and then after you have purchased a new house, then start thinking about upgrading. And then by that time, you'll be able to specifically choose the speaker based on your situation...which might make khorns an option 2.gif

"The 3 La Scala's will take up 6 feet of that 8 feet, with only 1 foot between each. Even a diehard Klipsch fan will think you are crazy,"

Nahhh....

frontdraped.jpg

Undrapped/unhidden...

CBupfront.jpg

This is about a 9' wide room. The width between the speakers alone doesn't tell enough, you need to also know how far back you are sitting so you an figure out the listening angle. To get good sound in the small room though you are going to want to heavily treat it. That your room length is the same as the depth is going to make the room modes worse.

Shawn

Wow, Shawn -- that is really a nice setup. I think some of the acoustic foam tiling would be useful around here, as well.

The only problem I see has to do with the center LS. It's this: I calculate the finish as being approximately 7 degrees darker than the other two, which will doubtless have a noticable influence on the frequency response. IOW: The speakers will not be properly timbre matched, and voices and stringed instruments will be clearly smeared.

That really is neat looking, though! :)

Erik

Erik,

I have loads of the acoustic foam in my theater. The stuff on the front wall is 4" thick. On the sides up front it is 3" at the front wall and tapers down to 2" foam. The ceiling is covered in 2" foam and the back wall has a horizontal strip of 4" foam that expands out on the sides walls that is 2" thick. The entire room is double drywalled (including the ceiling) so it was extremely live in there before the treatments went in.

"The only problem I see has to do with the center LS. It's this: I calculate the finish as being approximately 7 degrees darker than the other two, which will doubtless have a noticable influence on the frequency response. IOW: The speakers will not be properly timbre matched, and voices and stringed instruments will be clearly smeared. "

Not only that but the center is 8 or 10 years older then the L/R speakers. But that is where the advanced EQ function in the MC-12 comes into place. It individually EQs each speaker to take into account the differences in timbre between the different finishes and 'aging' of the fronts. As a side benefit it also deals with the rooms bass resonances for every channel. ;)

Shawn

----------------

On 5/30/2005 7:24:37 PM DrWho wrote:

Why don't you just hang on to the synergy for now and then after you have purchased a new house, then start thinking about upgrading. And then by that time, you'll be able to specifically choose the speaker based on your situation...which might make khorns an option
2.gif
----------------

Now or never, get the idea 2.gif

EDIT: let me clarify, this is kinda one of those now or never deals, so what would you do?