Octavarium

Rdmarsiii

----------------

On 6/8/2005 12:55:57 AM wheelman wrote:

I may have to get this one. It's been since the early ninetys since I have bought anything from them. They still got piano/keyboard in it? It's got to be quite a trip to hear where there at now.

----------------

Yup, still got the keyboard and piano in it.

Alright, I just bought it, but haven't yet had a chance to listen to it since I'm spinning Coldplay's new X&Y album currently. While browsing the Dream Theater section in my local record store today, they also had Jordan Rudess and a solo effort by James LaBrie out. So I bought those as well. I'm already a fan of their old keyboardist, Derek Sherinian. Hopefully all these albums will rule.

Well, looks like a trip to the record store is in order. Everything that I've read so far says this albums is better than thier last few releases, but still not quite Images and Words caliber. Still, always looking for new material to listen to, especially from a bad such as Dream Theater.

Put it this way, even thier worst album is still way better than, in my opinion, than many artists' best efforts.

Hey Steve, since you're the one who turned me onto Derek Sherinian, do you know if the solo albums by James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess are any good? I bought Rudess' "Rhythm of Time." The store didn't have "Feeding the Wheel," which I heard was better?

----------------

On 6/9/2005 4:32:59 PM nicholtl wrote:

Hey Steve, since you're the one who turned me onto Derek Sherinian, do you know if the solo albums by James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess are any good? I bought Rudess' "Rhythm of Time." The store didn't have "Feeding the Wheel," which I heard was better?

----------------

I really don't know, as I've yet to hear those albums myself! Sounds like yet another trip to the record store is in order. I'll definitly check these out myself. Along those lines, I'll need to find/get a copy of Derek Sherinian's Mythology album myself, as I only have that Black Utopia album of his.

BTW, I did go and pick up that Dream Theater album this evening. I really do like it. An excellent album.

I still got some other albums that I want to check out, such as Axel Rudi Pell's stuff. I've heard some of his stuff on XM Radio and friggan loved it! Now need to go find the albums.

I own Mythology, and I think it's even better than Black Utopia. So yes, sounds like you gotta get that butt down to the record store ASAP!

Oh, and I just listened to Jordan Rudess' "Rhythm of Time." Great album, though not as good as Sherinian's. What's unique about Rudess' work, however, is that his songs are more epic in terms of length (6-9 minutes), and some of them feature vocalists singing throughout the entire song. It's quite a nice change of pace.

----------------

On 6/9/2005 4:32:59 PM nicholtl wrote:

Hey Steve, since you're the one who turned me onto Derek Sherinian, do you know if the solo albums by James LaBrie and Jordan Rudess are any good?

----------------

I am now previewing the James LaBrie's most recent album (Elements of Persuasion) on allofmp3.com, and so far, I really like it! Definitly will be adding this one to my collection. I'll go and check out the Jordan Rudess albums as well. If I apsolutely cannot find the CD itself, as much as I hate to say this, but I will aquire it through allofmp3.com.

To add - that James LaBrie Elements of Persuasion albums just gets better and better as I listen to more of it! And this is with crappy streaming 24kbs mono MP3 through a cheap-*** set of Cambridge Soundworks PC speakers. I'll stop by the record store after work tommorrow and see if I can find this and Derek Sherinian's Mythology album.

From what I have heard so far, if you like Dream Theater, than definitly, definitly pick up James LaBrie's solo albums.