SOS...Please HELPPPPPP!!! Newbie sort of!

point_and_shoot

I am trying to complete my home theater system. I am on a very tight budget. Let me tell you what I have (or just bought) and let me know where my weaknesses will be:

Receiver- Denon AVR 1804

DVD Player- Denon DVM 1815

Front Mains- Digital Phase AP-1's

Center- Klipsch RC-25

Rear Speakers- Definitive BP6's

Subwoofer- Klipsch KSW 50 ? (I don't see it listed on Klipsch's Site)

Do I need to sell, trade, or just sit back and enjoy? Remember some of this has not even arrived (center, sub, rears)

Thanks,

Jason11.gif

Actually I never heard digital phase or even heard of them. If there better why didn't you go the digital phase all the way around? I would have to hear them really to compare them. I don't get caught up in advertisement hype. I will however go by reviews sometimes of users and editorial reviews.. You still have to know how to read between the lines. Especially with magazines when they are reviewing their sponsers. I found my speaker and it's Klipsch. I'm not rich and they do what I want them to do for a price I can afford.

What you need to know is that it is critical that the front three speakers be matched. All Klipsch Reference or all the other brand is the way to go in front.

A pair of RF-25s or RB-35s would give you a better front three. The RF-25s will surprise you sound wise.

Bill

For that kind of money your gonna spend on a center. You could always get a pair of reference Klipsch towers for a more dynamic hometheater experience. Then you would have your front three matched, and you could use your digital phase in a two channel setup. Just some food for thought. But if you really love the digital phase it's your ears go for it. You may want to see what a Klipsh front soundstage can do before you do that though.

Do you have a local hifi store that sells Klipsch other than best buy? Best buy doesn't sell reference last time I knew. I see you have a reference center. Try demoing a pair of rf-25's if possible. I have the sf-2's and they ROCK for their size. But yeah you still can get the idea what a klipsch setup will do at best buy. I think the last time I was at a store like that it was circuit city, and that place had speakers basically on top of each other all together smearing stereo imaging, and up against the wall making everything sound muddy. So maybe Hah ha hah

----------------

On 6/8/2005 1:48:19 AM point_and_shoot wrote:

Yes, I need to get on over to Best Buy and see what the Klipsch will do. The Digital Phase won the showstopper award in NYC back in 1993 or 1995. That has been a long time ago. Maybe speaker designs are better now. By the way my DP are only about 4 years old. haha

----------------

I wouldn't try Best Buy, or Circuit. Go to an authorized Klipsch Ref retailer and have them demo a Ref setup for you. Otherwise, with the rest I could give many suggestions, however it's your taste and budget. Budget be d*mned I would recommend R7 series all around and SVS sub.

I will have to find a professional dealer. I think the closest one to me is about 85 miles. Not many have touched on the original issue though. Of what I DO have does anyone forsee any problems with compatability/sound etc. (Other that the mismatched fronts?) For instance tuner, sub, rears,dvd-player,etc? Does anyone have any tips on setup and how to find the sweetest sound when doing so. Wiring, positioning, volume, anything that I might be unaware of?

----------------

On 6/8/2005 1:07:45 AM point_and_shoot wrote:

Go to
then tell me if there is a comprable Klipsch to the AP-1's .

----------------

Going purely by specs, the Klipsch RF-25 would be the comparable Klipsch speaker (and a bit cheaper too), as it also contains dual 6.5 inch woofers along with a 1 inch titanium tweeter (unlike the Digital Phase AP-1, however, that tweeter is coupled to a 6 inch Tractrix horn). Since you already have the RC-25 center, it makes sense to get the matching mains.

However, for what those AP-1s are retailing for (according to that website), you could get yourself a pair of RF-5s, which, in my gut feeling, would probably be a much better speaker. However, since I've never heard the Digital Phase AP-1 speakers, I cannot comment on its performance. It certainly looks like a nice speaker from what I saw. I certainly would not mind giving it a listen.

----------------

I thought my digital phase were the best of all of my equipment : (

----------------

It may very well be to your ears. As others suggested, if you really like those Digital Phase speakers, than it may very well be a good idea to consider getting the matching center (and perhaps down the road, the matching surrounds as well). Looks like the only center model they have is the AP-.7CC, at around a suggested retail of $800 (nearly the cost of a brand-new Klipsch RC-7 center channel speaker, which I know is a very fine speaker - I have two of them in my setup!).

But all that said, if at all possible, it definitly would be a good idea to try to listen to the Klipsch setup and make up your mind as to what you really want. After all, it is you that have to live with it, thus it is important to get what you feel sounds "right" for your ears.

As to the sub - I cannot comment, as I've never heard either of those models that you mentioned. Also, a sub is not critical in "matching" with the rest of the speakers. As long as it keeps up with the rest of your system (i.e., trying to match some rinky-dinky little sub that may have came with one of those HTiB setups with RF-7s may not be a good idea) and produces the kind of bass you are looking for, that is all that matters.

As for volume and setup, look into getting an SPL meter and one of those "setup" DVDs. You may be able to get an SPL meter from Radio-Shack, and they are relativly inexpensive (around $30-$40 or so). Or at least try to borrow one. These tools are invaluable in getting your system correctly setup and balanced.

An addition:

----------------

OK, so I just bought a new sub to add to this system. It is a Phase Technology Power 12. Do you guys think it will outperform the Klipsch KWS-50?

----------------

The KSW-50 is an older model of sub, thus why you won't see it in the current product listings (look in the "discontinued" product listings under "subwoofer" - wait! here it is!). Since you said you already bought the new sub, you might as well compare them both yourself and make up your mind as to which is better. Also may be worth it to try both of them together in your setup.

Jason:

I have to agree with Wheelman. I had a Denon AVR1804 and it was not very musical, in fact, it sounded like CRAP. Sell it while it's still fairly new and you can probably get most of your money out of it (assuming you got a fairly good deal). If you like Denon, at least make sure you've got one of the "Made in Japan" models. The lower end Denon stuff (like the 1804) is made in China.

What you hear from your speakers depends upon what you feed them. If your up stream components are not up to snuff, you're not going to be very happy with what comes out down stream.

James