Upgrade Fever

Big Ears

My two cents..I just set up my new system two weeks ago. RF-5 Mains, RC-7, RS-35, RW-12 RX-V2500. It really sounds great, I love it. BUT, I am one of those people who can't stand to know that there is something better out there. I love the RF-5's, they're great looking and sound outstanding. I have driven them to concert levels or a little higher, a few times. They stay tight and responsive. But it just keeps nagging me that I didn't get the 7's. I upgraded to the the RC-7, at the last minute on advice, and it was a good call. It just keep thinking that since the 5's sound soo good, I know that the 7's will sound that much better.

Hence, a phone call today to my Goodguy's salesman to tell him I wanted to swap out the 5's for the 7's. I can't afford to keep the 5's just yet, because now I will need to get the RSW-15 to match the 7's. I can see where this could become a problem. Once I get the 7's in place, I'll start loosing sleep thinking I need to use the 2500 as a preamp and run separates to the fronts. By then, I'll need a pair of 5's to use as rears and two more amps for that and so on and so on......

Do you ever find that "Sonic Nirvana" place where you can be truly happy with your system or is the fact that we all have our wishlists, what separates us from the "normies?" Imagine, if you will, having an unlimited budget and you were going to build a system for yourself...Would you not still face the same challenges in selecting equipment and then wondering if something else would have worked or sounded better, regaurdless of price?

All that have come over for a demo of my system, can't beleive how good and clear it sounds. But, I "know" it can sound better. S--T, it will sound better, once I .........If this habbit is as hard to kick as a drug habbit, I should quit now. I didn't have this problem with my old system. (Pro-Logic with Infinity's for ten years)

Anyone care to share how they delt with this? How do you know when your system is finished, or is it really ever finished? And say your content for a couple of years and then THE new and improved line comes out, it starts all over agian, right?

Chris

Yep, I know exactly where you're coming from. Used a RXV850 prologic with Cornwalls RC7, and DefTech bipolars for years. Moved into Rxv2400 last year and got two more Corns for rears. Then got centeritus, first KLFC7 for closer timbre match, now have parts to build custom center cornwall. My sub is the lowly ksw-15.

You've got a great system there. Around here the RF5's have been on clearance sale for cheap, so the RF7 is like twice as expensive. You got the right center and I prefer RB surrounds to the wedge speakers. You really should have plenty of power with your yammie, and just set up the system, so what's the problem?

Don't feel (or think) that you can keep up with the REALLY BIG boys on this Forum. That is a very real danger. Appreciate what you can afford and go buy a movie and a couple of CD's instead of that next upgrade. Relax and enjoy before taking any next step.

Michael

I agree. It is possible to spend so much time and energy obsessing over the next upgrade, that you never really just sit back and enjoy the really nice system you have. If you do get the RF-7's now then 3 years later if Klipsch comes out with an even better reference line, then what do you do?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I traded out the RF-5's and brought home the RF-7's last night. Holy S**T, what a difference. First, the size difference alone is impressive, but the sound is what made me smile. I picked up the Eagles Farewell I DVD yesterday and popped that in. With my 2500 set at about -20 db I had almost concert level playback and it was like I was on the front row. That DVD has excellent sound separation in 5.1. After that, we watched Mel Gibson in the "Patriot" The sound of his hatchet flying through the air made it feel like it was headed right for us. The Rf-5's at the same volume level sounded good but didn't have near the presence of the 7's. Like half, it seemed. Even the wife, who has a beginners ears, could tell the difference immediatly. She thought I was crazy for wanting the upgrade. Not anymore!

I can say that after last nights RF-7 premier, I am happy with my system....For now.....9.gif

Big Ears,

Congrats on the new speakers!!!

There is good news and not so good news about the 7s. You have heard the good news. The not so good news is that there is another step up that the 7s can take. DeanG's crossover mod makes a signnificant improvement. Read the reviews by the members to learn about it.

Bill

let me see if i can identify? hmmmmmm? first i had polk and onkyo, than upgraded the onkyo, than needed better speaks, went to a klipsch rf5 setup, including the rc3, center sucked, could not keep up with the front 5's, and rear rf 3's, so i upgraded to the rc 7, massive improvement in soundstage, now electronics were weak, tried yammie, denon, but they werent as good as the speakers, so i went rotel. at the time rotel had just shifted thier manufacturing to china, so they had all kinds of issues, after 15 trips to exchange gear i canned the whole rotel mess and again auditioned everything i could, i happily ended up with my current b&k avr 507, it is sooo, now my speaks could not keep up, so i now run an all heritage ht/2channel rig, and because i made all my decisions to slowely my son now has as his gaming/ht/2 channelrig, 2-rf 5's, 2-rf 3's, 1 rc 7, and an ksw12 sub, so upgrade? it is an illness, but at least we have fun doing it

Hmm...after owning a pair of Klipsch PromediaUltras, I knew I had to upgrade the HT setup. I got a Quintet 5.1 system HTIB with a Samsung dvd player/reciever. It went to pot, so I bought a Sony DVD player and a Yammy reciever. Then I got some spendin' cash, and I went out and got a Reference -35 5.1 system with an RW10. The bass was not up to snuff, so I returned it and upgraded to the RW12, which was worlds better. The Yammy was a bit harsh in HT mode, and wasn't good enough for music IMO, so I saved up some more moola and auditioned a hole bunch of AVRs, heard the Arcam AVR-300, saved up yet more cash, and finally got one. One of the strengths of the Arcam is its full-range surround processing for music and its phenominal DD PLIIx matrixing into 7.1 HT surround. So I sold the RS-35s and got four RB-35s for a 7.1 system. At this point my electronics were exceeding my speakers, so when I got a consulting paycheck at the same time as some graduation money, I sold the RX-35 system and got RF-7s and an RC-7. The poor RW12 really couldn't keep up, so I got an RSW-15. Then I got a pair of RB-75s for rears. I still need to save up enough to get a second set to be back to my 7.1 setup, but I'm in a smaller place for a month until I close on the house I'm purchasing, so I'm holding off until the end of summer to get the other pair. Oh, and while my Arcam AVR did an awesome job of driving the RF-7s, I got a stereo amp for extra bass and midrange detail, and upgraded my Sony 975 to a Denon 2910s for better redbook cd playback and DVD-A (in addition to SACD). I am really, really happy with this system, so I no longer have the overwhelming urge to upgrade, although there are a few things here and there that I'm sure will get replaced in the coming months/years. Probably Dean's corssover mods are on that list. So don't feel bad, you are taking the quicker route by upgrading to the top of the line imediately. Congrats!

Scott

Well I can see that I am not alone. Today was spent with "Lightning in a Bottle" and Jimi at the Isle of Wight. Both were excellent. Also, I discovered that by pulling the 7's out a little farther from the wall, they sounded much better. My media wall is recessed 25" and the 7's take up most of it, so I ended up pulling everything out a little farther. I can tell that the RW-12 is having a hard time keeping up, but it still sounds pretty good, so I may take it back and order the RSW-15. I wish I could find a deal on one.

"There is good news and not so good news about the 7s. You have heard the good news. The not so good news is that there is another step up that the 7s can take. DeanG's crossover mod makes a signnificant improvement. Read the reviews by the members to learn about it."

I have read up on Deans crossover upgrade, what does Klipsch think about it? Will they void the waranty? I'm interested, but think I will wait until I'm ready for separates. Actually, aside from wanting a pair of RS-7's for rear surrounds, I'm happy for the moment. And since we just moved moved in our house a couple of months ago, the wife has a list of stuff she wants before I can sneak in any more equipment.

I do need to upgrade my DVD player, I'm looking at the Yami DVD-2500, but indications are that something is changing in the formats, like HD-DVD, in the coming months. What do you guys think we should do? Buy now, or wait a few months and see what happens?

Thanks,

Chris

Take your time on the mod by Dean. Enjoy the new 7s.

Klipsch says very little about the mod. What little they do say is that the mod is not needed. The new Premier Reference line is rumored to use higher grade crossover parts. So you read the tea leaves.

Personally, my recommendation is to listen to 7s with the mod if you can. Hearing is believing. I expected a minor improvement, if any. There was nothing minor about the mod. It is a very significant improvement.

The RW-12 is also a weak link. The RSW-15 has no trouble keeping up. SVS also has models that will work well with the 7s. I went with the 15 and am very happy. The 15 is good for both movies and music. With a good amp, the 7s do not really need a subwoofer for music. Movies require a sub IMO.

Bill

Thanks Bill! I always enjoy your imput. Your posts are always informative and strctly business, I like that. I have yet to see you join in the banter that seems to be common on these boards.

I am enjoying the 7's very much, I figure I still need to make a few room changes (i.e. rug for the tile floor, strategic art work, back wall) before I will really be able to dail in the 7's. Right now I have the EQ set almost flat and they sound awesome. I left all my settings from the 5's, so I could really tell the difference the 7's bring.

I'm definatley going to add a power amp or two sometime later this year and then might think about the mods. Goodguys wants $1550 for the RSW-15. Seem like a fair price?

Oh, new Klipsch's! Great! In time for Christmas, I'd guess? Let's see...I want a six foot towers with twin 12's and two horns...and...