Computer Systems

i gotta say ...

i enjoy my PC sound as much as the $$$$ system downstairs ...

nothin' fancy ... PC, EMU, logitech 560, JBL Control 1 Monitors .....

it ....ROCK's .....well ..mostly

the Sub kicks A$$ ... gotta run them Klipsch at 5 watts to equal it !

taht ..and the monitors are ..literally ...in my face ...6.gif

i ordered a Klipsch 4. system ...

gonna rock Harder, i'm sure ...14.gif

The JBL control series are one of the wierdest speakers I've heard...they sound like crap at low volumes, but as you turn it up there is this point where they just suddenly open up and sound wonderful (and you won't catch me praising JBL very often either). We used them all the time when I was in Michigan installing systems all over the place...we mostly used the 29AV series, but did see a lot of the 1's as well. Those little suckers can really pump out the volume.

I think one of these days I'm going to drag my pc into my HT and hook up them Chorus II speakers and see how it sounds. Of course I know it sounds good in the studio, but that's a totally different approach than when you're trying to enjoy it. I had a pc hooked up to a pair of Marantz 940's a while back and it was infinetly better than when I was using a cd player digitally connected to a reciever (and this was with a cheapy crap creative sound card).

btw, what's wrong with carver and crown? All good rock needs to be loud, and that means nice clean powerful amps. My Crown XLS 402 certainly sounds way better than my denon reciever on any speaker I've tried. Clean and loud is the way to go 10.gif

The newest LSR series monitors are the flattest response models JBL has made. They are exceptional. Obviously descended from the 4311 monitors (which have some issues), but a whole new ballgame. But what would you expect when it's 30 years later, huh? But the cost is almost identical. My 4311WX would cost just over a grand each due to inflation, and that is what the new ones cost.

Marvel

i may go all PC based playback soon ....

there's just so much music on my HD, and i gotta say ...

hooked up to the main system, the PC gives little away to my Audio Alchemy Transport.......

.....................playing files recorded using FLAC

i am using either the AA DAC/Clocker , or an ART DI/O

I asked in another thread but I'll ask it again here (since it's more on topic)...

How do you like the ART DAC and what else have you listened to that you could compare to? I need to get around to demoing one of them one of these days.

Well, Who ....

ya better BUY fast ...

i bought the second last ART DI/O that Musicians Friend had ..

8.gif8.gif

you can use this for playback, or, use it with the tube for CONVERSION, as in upload

there are a ton of threads., as well as a couple websites devoted to mod's too ...

check AA forum on this ...

or .. email me

----------------

On 6/12/2005 1:45:00 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

Well ...

i said ..ENJOY ..

besides, it is obvious someone has never heard a Phase 400, or any Crown ...

the Phase 400 has had a reputation for being a very

'musical" amp for years

Crown .. a wire with lotsa Gain, basically

----------------

I have personally owned a Phase 400 that I bought new in 1979. And I have also heard several Crowns. My intent is not to be offesive here, I am just surprised that anyone could like/enjoy their Multimedia system as well as or better than a nice two-channel rig. But hey, different strokes for different folks. As long as your happy, that's what's important. Cheers!

ART isn't showing that they don't make the DI/O anymore, but I can't find a store that has it listed. Still, the list is only $195. I recenly repaired an ART amp, an SLA-1. Sweet amp, 100wpc in a 1U space. It just had a bad solder connection.

The 4311s do have some breakup in the 5" midrange, but probably not at the levels I mix at. I would love to get a better set of crossovers in them and see what difference that would make.

Marvel

sorry, Marvel ... ART is a local company, no they don't make it ...5.gif anymore ...

yer gonna be hard pressed to find one ...

the best part is the a-to-d conversion, with a variable mix to the 12ax7 tube

and of course it worked as a DAC, too

years ago we tinkered with the studio 4312's, and tri-amp //

really not a whole lot better than the passive xover, unlees ya want a lotta watts

----------------

On 6/12/2005 6:13:43 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

----------------

On 6/12/2005 5:26:14 PM Piranha wrote:

in the Multimedia section?

----------------

Well, No ...

'cause i'm really a 2 channel guy ...

just enjoying what my PC system has become ..
2.gif

----------

That's cool. I wish I could. It would have saved me a lot of money.
9.gif

While I do love PC's as a source if you get a high quality sound card. There's plenty of advantages of being able to make playlists of some 5000+ songs in my library, and just jump around to anything in less than a split second.

I owned the Logitech Z-680's. I just CANT compliment a logitech sub. It's a freaking one note wonder. It simply destroy's any trace of clean bass in a system. It's good for rap music though when the bass is just pretty much one note.

Besides that, the logitech system is okay. Nothing in the PC world sound's as good as the Creative Gigaworks or the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1's, for bass as well as mids/highs. Just ask the ear about PC sound systems, he bought like 20 of em just to compare them.

-Joe

Since this is essentially MY thread ...

Let me ask, please, Colin ...

while you Surf ...

what do you listen to ..???

i'm Quite happy rockin' out right now

well, ok ..Jazzin' out ..

to my little JBL's

and the Ton's of live music on my hard drive...

damn near 100dB, Subs hittin' me in the gut ...

do you Surf ...songless ...??

Yea, it's not my big system ...

let me tell you ...

it pisses my wife off., 'an does the Deed