Timbre Matching - Synergy series

Marshall1

I recently bought the F3 mains from vanns.com, and they are the older model of the Synergy speakers. They are all black - no gray speakers, or gray on the cabinet. From the docs it looks like they are 2003 models.

Then they had a great deal at Best Buy last weekend where if you spent over $600 you got a KSW-12 free. I was planning on buying the SC-3, and SS-3's this year anyway. So I went to Best Buy and had them order them for me and walked out with the sub (they do not carry the SC-3, or SS-3s in store).

Anyway, now to the question. The center and surrounds will be the newer model of the Synergy series. How will this affect performance in a HT enviornment? If I get a resounding answer telling me that it will affect performance greatly then I will take them back without opening the boxes. I am hoping that they will be very similar and I will not notice any sound differences.

I cannot answer your question directly as I have no experience with the synergy line but in general the timbre match is very important however it is, at least to me, the most critical in the music playback aspect. In HT use the timbre mismatch, if one exists and is not too drastic, is more palatable than when you are playing multi-channel music. I would assume the timbre mismatch between old and new synergy is probably not very noticeable if at all. I would go ahead and buy the new stuff. I would expect you would find it quite enjoyable. Your other option(s) would probably be to try and find used older stuff here on the forum or one of the online venues. Good luck. Enjoy!!!