Any Suggestions... Stage floor

IndyKlipschFan

Well is your stage boomy right now without all that other stuff added? If not, then don't worry about it.

I think I would have filled all the spaces underneathe with concrete or sand or something like that. If I was being real cheap, then I would find someplace that is trying to get rid of a similar material...or even going out to some field and digging up lots of dirt 2.gif

I'd suggest what was done in the 70's in home construction. 3/4 plywood subflooring was laid down (which is what you have I believe), then after walls were up (skip this Indy- but do AFTER mud is done), install 5/8 or 3/4 particle board (NOT MDF, NOT Aspenite) at right angles, making sure joints are on joists and small space between edges (to avoid squeeks). Use construction adhesive and spiral nails to attach to joists. The particle board will add much density to the plywood, glueing them together give a monolithic type construction for rigidity. I dare a mic to howl that is placed on that surface.

Good padding and carpeting and you'l nary hear a footfall.

Michael

Indy,

If the sound you are trying to stifle is "boomy" or like a drum, then fill with play sand. Over at the AVSforum they recommend putting plastic down in the cavities and filling with the sand. Pink Fiberglass insulation if tightly packed is an alternative, but will not perform as well as the sand. I'm building a stage in my "under construction" HT and I'm going with the sand.

Hope this helps.

This may sound crazy, but the local performing Arts center had a "boomy" stage. They dumped peanuts (packing squiggles) into the space. Packed tight and flooring covered. Sound man said it worked great. They have a great venue and sound there.