Onkyo AVR

Hustler

Hey folks,

First of all, thanx for all the usefull info provided by you guys on this board. Secondly, I am looking forward to purchase some Klipsch speakers for my home theatre. Right now, I am looking at the ref-5 or ref-7 series and thinkin about pairing them with the Onkyo TX-SR702 or NR-801...or may be a Denon-3805. what do you guys think. I might end up doing seperates down the road (may be a couple of years) but for now. This is what i plan to do.

I've listened to the Ref-5 and 7 series and liked them besides the bass just wasnt enough for me even with the sub they had. I am wondering if the syn III series is really that different from theese or there isnt much noticeable diff...!!!!!

----------------

On 6/17/2005 9:13:36 PM Hustler wrote:

First of all, thanx for all the usefull info provided by you guys on this board. Secondly, I am looking forward to purchase some Klipsch speakers for my home theatre. Right now, I am looking at the ref-5 or ref-7 series and thinkin about pairing them with the Onkyo TX-SR702 or NR-801...or may be a Denon-3805. what do you guys think. I might end up doing seperates down the road (may be a couple of years) but for now. This is what i plan to do.

----------------

I've never heard the RF-7s with the Onkyo, but I've had with the Denon, and thought they sound quite nice. I've used a Denon AVR3802 myself (at least I still do as a pre/pro fronting a B&K amp), and I've been quite impressed. Granted, the much nicer outboard amp really helped things out, especially in the bass department.

To be honost, I don't think you'd go wrong going with the Onkyo or the Denon. To make your decision that more difficult (11.gif) a few folks had good luck with the Harmon-Kardon as well. If you could, try to go out and listen to yourself. I know that is not always possible, but certainly try if you can.

----------------

I've listened to the Ref-5 and 7 series and liked them besides the bass just wasnt enough for me even with the sub they had. I am wondering if the syn III series is really that different from theese or there isnt much noticeable diff...!!!!!

----------------

I don't know what you mean by "beside the bass just wasn't enought for me even with the sub they had", but if you are looking for that aweful sounding "boom boom boom", like is heard when somebody's blasting that rap crap out of a car stereo, you are looking in the wrong place.

However, that being said, feeding these things with a good amp does help with the bass. After adding the B&K amp instead of driving the RF-7s directly with the Denon reciever, I've noticed that the bass had more punch and authority, but still quite clean and accurate. No "boom boom boom" at all. Of course, the REL Storm III sub certainly helps as well.

What do you mean by the "syn III"? Do you mean the new Synergy that they now have at Best Buy, such as the F-3s? The RF-5 and especially the RF-7s are indeed a better speaker. They seemed to be more accurate and detailed to me. However, are they better for the cost difference? Frankly, that is up to you to decide if it is worth it. The F-3s they got at Best Buy are a nice speaker, and I was impressed when I heard them. To bad that setup at Best Buy won't let me try my own material, as there are a couple tracks that I'd like to try on there and see how they sound compared to my own setup.

Well no I wasnt refering to any BOOM BOOM BOOM. However; I do want a clean, accurate and deep bass that will shake the rec room foundation. I might end up using two subs if needed. I've used Onkyo before (502) and it works fine, plus the TX-SR702 and NR-801 have THX certification which the 3805 doesnt have.

I have a promedia ultra 5.1 for my computer room right now and am happy with the bass it produces and the sound quality as well. Thats why i chosed to go with klipsch and not infinity, paradigm or anything alike.

----------------

On 6/17/2005 10:18:15 PM Hustler wrote:

Well no I wasnt refering to any BOOM BOOM BOOM. However; I do want a clean, accurate and deep bass that will shake the rec room foundation. I might end up using two subs if needed. I've used Onkyo before (502) and it works fine, plus the TX-SR702 and NR-801 have THX certification which the 3805 doesnt have.

----------------

I don't know how that demo setup you heard was put together and/or what they are using, but from my own experience, the RF-7s seem to deliver quite nicely in that regard. However, this where good amplification is extremely important. Also, it room placement and such can affect the bass response significantly. Even something as simple as having the sub in a corner or not. I would not rule out the bass response until you get a chance to try the speakers in your own room with your own equipment, and see how it sounds. Much tweaking around can be done to get the bass you want.

The THX, to me, was not all that important. I based my decision on what I thought sounded good what what I wanted to do. Granted, if the reciever you happen to choose, happens to be THX certified, than that is just icing on the cake (since the THX does has some nice post-processing modes that may come in handy). But heck, if the decision came down to whether one had THX certification and the other not, everything else being equal, I'd probably go for the THX certified one.

----------------

I have a promedia ultra 5.1 for my computer room right now and am happy with the bass it produces and the sound quality as well. Thats why i chosed to go with klipsch and not infinity, paradigm or anything alike.

----------------

Those ProMedia's are some nice little speakers, especially for the price. I am still using a set of the original V2.400s back from 5 years ago. I've known about Klipsch even before the ProMedia's came out, but thought how cool it must be to get computer speakers from a well-known "high-end" speaker company. First time I heard those little things, I was blown away! Figure if those things sounded good, I can only imagine how good thier "big" stuff sounded! 6.gif

So is it an absolutely bad idea to go with ONKYO with the Ref5 or Ref 7 series..or even the Synergy III series..????

If yes, then that leaves me with either the 3805 or a H/K. Which one is better..!!! I know the answer is going to be based on every individuals personal experience but I am willing to go with the flow here so help me out. Also I am gettin my house (to be) pre-wired...any suggestions..??? as far as wiring goes.

thanx folks.

also is it a good idea to get KA-1000-THX/KW-120-THX with one of the above mentioned speakers..!!!!!

the denon and hk are both good pieces, it sounds to me like you need to do a litte foot work and do alot of auditioning, do not just go on opinion, we all have different hearing, how we expect our music to sound, so go out and suit your own listening style, while you do it you might just find more out there that you might like better than denon or hk, there are so many offerings, but do it with really familiar music, and do stay away from bargains, they are bargains for a reason, plus if you can, try to look at specks, brands like sony say 100 watts, and than you get into the specks and find that they only test 1 channel, why? because they only have i output transformer, and others state that all channels are tested, why, because they have 1 transformer for every channel, now which is better? hmmmmmm,m? another good thing is to go to review sites and get some other owners reviews, and do make sure that you audition the electronics on equal speakers, some places like circuit city has differing leves and qualit mixed and mis matched so you really are not listening to the system the way you should