What might be wrong with this 299-C

I've been watching for a Scott 333 tuner and have found one on Ebay bundled with a 299C that is described as having one channel working.

Anyone have an idea about likely problems that could cause this outcome. I'd like to have an idea about what might be ahead trying to get this amp up running again.

Thanks. Any thoughts appreciated. URL below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5782785662&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

To say the lest I'm not the most technically minded member here, but I would hazard a quess that's it's probably minor.

Probably the most likely culprits would be output tubes, line tubes to that stage, or a condensor, faulty wiring, possilby a connection on the on/off switch which has a lot of different wires gong through it, or worse case (but probably least likely)a fried transformer. Could also be a fuse but my 299 has only one fuse and not sure if the "C" model has one or two, I would hazard it only has one.

In any event down the road you would probably want to send this to Craig, or tech of choice. The difference after he went over mine was quite dramatic. Figure $300 to $400 on top of what you pay for it, depending upon weather it needs lots of new tubes, you opt for the bias mod etc.

Good luck, Daddy these are really sweet sounding amps.

As thebes pointed out, it's probably a minor problem. But to be safe, ask if he is willing to take pictures of the inside of the amp with the covers removed. Tubes, caps, and control cleaning are not that big of a deal, but a fried output is a bigger problem. If you can get pictures of the inside, look for gobs of wax on the bottom panel that would have leaked from the transformer. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's shot, but it does mean that it ran very hot for a long period of time.

To get the best sound and reliability out of this amp, you are probably looking at new filter caps and coupling caps at a minimum. Probably $100 in parts, and a couple hundred in labor. These are darn nice sounding units when they are restored.

Mark

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advisement here. This has been helpful and sounds reasonable, too.

I've been in contact with the seller, and have decided not to pursue bidding as the tuner is not in quite the shape I was hoping for.

So, in case anyone on the forum is interested, don't hesitate on the auction out of courtesy to another forum member. I won't be bidding on this one.