how to *properly* integrate a sub into a two channel (pc source) setup?

tofu

I bet you can't hear a difference between kernel streaming and DirectSound :)

I know guys with $700 headphones and $200 amps with $1000 DAC's. They can't hear a difference either (no their not deaf).

I honestly think the whole KS/ASIO vs Waveout/DS is a bunch of placebo. You might want to try and take a step back, don't trust what other people say, trust your own ears! If you honestly can hear a difference, and you see yourself wanting to hear the difference, then something's up! Run Directsound for a week, then switch to KS for a song, then switch back, there's really nothing "bad" DS does to the sound before it hits the DAC, you'd gain much better sound out of your system by adjusting your seat height and toe in/out.

Those are my two cent's on the ASIO/KS vs. Waveout/DS thing :)

-Joe

Well if you want to hear the difference between ASIO and KS, then by all means swing by and I've got access to a few studios where the difference is night and day. Heck, I could be gone for a week and tell when I got back that someone has screwed up the software and put it in the wrong format. I personally would prefer that there was no real difference between the two because it'd mean less of a headache for me everytime I walk into the studio (just one less thing to check). Then again, at home on my decent pc setup I can't really hear the difference either...so it's definetly not as large as the difference between MP3 and CD. Anyways, I only mention that because I'm convinced that it's not a placebo...it seems to me to be more of a case of comparisons on not revealing enough equipment (I bet the majority of the ppl doing the comparisons are using MP3's for their source material).

----------------

On 6/20/2005 7:18:44 PM DrWho wrote:

As Erukian mentions, doing what you're suggesting is exactly identical to running the speaker level into the amp and then "connecting your mains to the subwoofer." You're just changing where the split happens (at the amp, or a couple feet down the cable). Electrically both setups are identical.

----------------

it is not exactly identical. if the speakers are connected to the sub, the speakers are "crossed-over" by the sub's high-pass filter (not really a crossover). but if the speakers are connected directly to the amp, they're not crossed-over and receive a full-range signal.