1 or 2 SUB-12's - how much difference will it make?

kenratboy

I am either getting one or two SUB-12's for my system. DO NOT worry about cost, I can get a good deal and this is the unit, so DO NOT recommend something else.

Right now, I have one of these:

http://jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=E250P&SerId=NRE&sCatId=PSU

And while it works fine for the most part (it reaches its limits easily) the sound quality is 'just OK' and it needs to go.

So, the real question here is how much of a difference will there be going from single to dual subs? They will be placed right next to each other for now.

Even though I get a good deal, buying two is obviously twice as expensive! What do you think? I watch a lot of bass heavy movies and listen to VERY bass heavy music, so the sub will be needing to do a lot of work.

Thanks!

One is the lonliest number... I too love bass and would recomend two depending on room size. Oh, what the heck, room size doesn't matter... 2!! I've got two in my living room now and it defiantely sounds better with both. Each ads a different characteristic I can tune up or down. I would place them on opposite sides of the room near corners though. You would get a more enveloping sound. I'm not sure if there would be a negative to placing them right next to each other. It would likely make that corner of your room very heavy and it would be a lot of bass bouncing off of each other. Might make it muddier.

11.gif

synergy 12", reference 12", series 7 center and mains, rs-35 rears.

I think you'll have to go with two to get that ear to ear smile. The sub you have now has the same size driver and only 50 less watts. I'd bet the sub12 can move more air but I think you'll need two of them make it a very noticeable upgrade. Plus, youll get to play around with non colocation which a lot of people dont get to do!

I think two of those things would give a PB12-ISD/2 some competition. Of course , those ISD drivers move about 0.6 one way which is a quit a bit. But I did stick my hand under the sub-12 when I was pushing it hard and it felt like it was moving pretty far (kind of hurt my finger), but I honestly have no idea how far or how much air it moves.

Guest Deon Bearden

----------------

On 6/20/2005 7:04:36 PM Blackmesa wrote:

But I did stick my hand under the sub-12 when I was pushing it hard and it felt like it was moving pretty far (kind of hurt my finger), but I honestly have no idea how far or how much air it moves.

----------------

~ ~ 3/4" linear one way, with over 1" (32mm)clearance. Moves a lot of air, there's a reason we tooled such a huge port.

----------------

On 6/21/2005 11:10:41 AM kenratboy wrote:

Anyone have a picture of the SUB-12 driver? If not, I will very shortly after getting them.

----------------

But wouldn't that void the extended warranty that you will pressure sell to yourself? 6.gif9.gif

Actually it would be fun to see the innards of the new Sub12... please keep us in the know...

Rob

----------------

On 6/21/2005 9:43:25 AM Deon Bearden wrote:

----------------

On 6/20/2005 7:04:36 PM Blackmesa wrote:

But I did stick my hand under the sub-12 when I was pushing it hard and it felt like it was moving pretty far (kind of hurt my finger), but I honestly have no idea how far or how much air it moves.

----------------

~ ~ 3/4" linear one way, with over 1" (32mm)clearance. Moves a lot of air, there's a reason we tooled such a huge port.

----------------

WOW!

----------------

On 6/21/2005 11:09:31 AM kenratboy wrote:

Hmmm:

12" SVS ISD driver - .6"

12" Klipsch SUB-12 driver - .75"

Both use powerful amps, a big box, large port, etc.

11.gif

I'm getting two and eating some Ramen to cover the difference
9.gif

----------------

haha, that has got to be quote of the month!

----------------

On 6/21/2005 11:10:41 AM kenratboy wrote:

Anyone have a picture of the SUB-12 driver? If not, I will very shortly after getting them.

----------------

I could get you a picture...but then I'd have to kill you. 11.gif It's very pretty inside, to say the least.

BTW: Get 2, you'll thank me later.

Mike

Guest Deon Bearden

----------------

On 6/22/2005 6:51:34 AM IAmtnbikr wrote:

A huge step up from the old KSW-12!

----------------

Why thank you - very - much!

9.gif9.gif9.gif

So, the real question here is how much of a difference will there be going from single to dual subs? They will be placed right next to each other for now.

Read this:

Subwoofers: Optimum Number and Locations

By Todd Welti

Research Acoustician

Harman International Industries, Inc.

Intuition tells us that putting a large number of subwoofers at different locations in a room is likely to excite room modes in a more "balanced" manner, as compared to a single subwoofer. This idea has potential where there is not a single listening location, but rather a listening area. In this case we look for consistency of acoustical response with in this area. One way to approach this problem is to excite all modes evenly. Another approach is to excite as few modes as possible. Using simulations and measurements we have made an investigation to determine if using a large number of subwoofers is advantageous, and in particular what configurations give the best results. Several interesting and surprising results were uncovered along the way.

http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003

10.gif

Added a second sub is a substantial difference, but I feel the real advantage is not so much overall SPL as it is, you don't have to drive each subwoofer hard. Hence more headroom and less distortion as well *** the ability for non-collocation arrangements. Its no surprise that Klipsch did not design the KW-120 with two woofers but rather just gave to two single woofer subwoofers for this purpose. It sounds better when you have subs on both sides, especially when they are capable! The louder they hit, the easier they are to tell. I have heard that some people have problems with PB12-Ultra/2's being somewhat directional. I know one guy is actually selling is Ultra/2 for two Ultra/1's.