Harman/Kardon AVR 8000

oogins

quote:

Harman/Kardon has announced the introduction of its top-of-the-line AVR-8000 audio/video receiver. The THX Ultra certified AVR-8000 includes built-in MP3 decoding, THX Surround EX, Logic 7, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete and DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 channel processing, DTS Neo:6, VMAx 3D Virtual Theater and a host of additional refinements. The AVR-8000 features 192kHz/24-bit audio capabilities using a pair of Crystal DSP processors and high-resolution Analog Devices DACs for the highest quality audio playback possible. In addition, the AVR-8000 will upconvert the digital signal from most CD players for dramatically improved sound quality.

The AVR-8000 utilizes high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplifiers and delivers 100 watts into each of the five main channels (20Hz-20kHz @ 8 ohms, less than 0.08% THD), or 110 watts in stereo. Preamp outputs are provided for the additional surround back channels delivered by the new 7.1 system. Harman/Kardon's Advanced Digital Bass Manager enables the LFE channel to be routed to the left and right front speakers, as well as the subwoofer. It also employs a fourth-order low-pass filter, rather than the more commonly used second-order filter.

What's your opinion on this receiver? I think it's going to sound incredible! I would actually choose this over the Denon 4802 and 5800, and I recently became a huge Denon fan.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo II

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony G400 19")

Razor Boomslang 2000 w/Everglide Giganta

These speakers are for my computer, not a HT

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats. + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 mini-sub (soon to be HSU Research VTF-2 or Paradigm PW-2200)

This message has been edited by oogins on 09-09-2001 at 09:24 PM

Paul, I have the AVR7000, which replaced a Denon AVR2500. I do not have one complaint about the HK. I knew it was a chinese assemble before I bought it and I have had now problems, other than the fact that it is monsterous. The sound is excellant. There is a definite difference between my Denon and the HK in stereo mode, I would compare surround as the Denon is just Prologic. I have used HK for the last 15 years and I think they have learned their lesson and have been putting out some nice equipment in the last 18 months. Through the mid to late 90's HK lacked consistant quality. That is why I have a nice Denon in my spare room. As far as this model being better than the 4802 and 5800 that is a pretty far leap, I would have to do some comparisons. Since I got my HK 7000 for $1000 the 5800 and 4800 were not an option, because of their big price tag at the time. I still have a 15 year old HK550i stereo receiver running my shop speakers. Let us know what you think when you get a listen.

JT

The HK 8000 should be a great sounding reciever with more features and power most could ask for.On paper that is.I did listen to the HK 7000 and its a very good reciever,its also very large for a reciever.

The large HK feature solid amplifiers to drive almost any speakers you can throw at them.The large transformers and large capacitors are a rare sight on recievers.

I have two recievers both Denon,the 5800 and 3801.The 5800 is a beast,built like a tank and with all the features and power to be the center piece of a refined HT system.The 3801 is also full of similar features but lacks the amp punch the 5800 has.

I use an ATI 1505 with the 3801 and the ATI 2505 with the 5800!I find the integrated amps dont have the grip and guts needed.

ATI amps are very underrated.The 1505 and 2505 are real beasts.74 and 105 lbs each!

And my most sicko experiment was to use a Krell FPB600 as main amp,Celeste MOON W5 for sourrounds and a Celeste 4250SE bridged mono on the center!I dont need to tell you the power and freedom fron any audible compression was breathtaking.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I replaced my HK AVR20 MKII with a HK510 some months ago. I really love it. It has tons of inputs and ample power for my speakers. It it aswome as a 2 channel receiver also. I know that HK has been bashed recently about some quality problems but I think that they have gotten those straightened out. I have not had any problems with either of my HK units (the AVR20 was used daily for 7 years at rather loud volumes without a problem).

Laters,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Give this link a try. It is the has the most information that I have found. It must be old I found it several months aga and I don't think that it has been updated. I think that it is some type of press release.

http://www.dba-pr.com/clients/harman/releases/overview.htm

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC