Aragon 2007 and Stage1 for RF-7s

norcuron

Hi,

What do all of you guys think these days about the combo of RF-7s (along with surrounds and center mentioned in sig) and the Aragon 2007 and Stage1? I have been doing quite a bit of reading but now have concerns about them stopping production etc. I found a brand new sealed set for $4500 from a great dealer but have never listened to the Aragon stuff. That's a lot of money to me so I would rather hold off a little if they are a little outdated or have other limitations vs. what else is out in the market.

The Aragon gear is well built, but lacks power IMO. There are many other deals out there if you look.

The lack of Prologic IIx is significant if you have a 7.1 setup or intend to get one. Otherwise, the system has a reputation for sounding good.

IMO, one place to look is at ergonomics. How easy is it to set up and operate? Modern gear is very complex for folks starting out. Some folks thrive on the features, others hate the complexity.

Consider an Aragon 3005 plus a 3002 for power. The RF-7s would never lack adequate power in all probability. Ask the Griffinator what he can do with a Rotel processor and Sherbourn amp. They are not my favorites, but they are very good and will start the process of comparison of price, build quality, features and power output.

Bill

I will say this the 20007 and Stage One are just an incredible combination. The dynamics and power of this combo make me so glad I purchased it daily. Get the right movie or music on there... And you just get pulled in and absorbed into the whole process and lose yourself in the experienence. Isn't that what it is all about sometimes too?

FYI with efficient Klipsch speakers... I doubt you really need the 3005- 3002 combo. The 2007 will be about all you can handle, trust me.

I use this setup in my system profile.

Indy,

With Khorns, the Aragon 2007 would be more than enough amp. However, with RF-7s it takes a stout amp in my experience to get the most out of an excellent speaker.

I'm not saying the Aragon 2007 is a bad amp, but there are better amps for the price.

Bill

MrMcGoo

Your system??

Amps: Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405 watts x 5, Sunfire Signature Stereo Series II 625 wpc on the RF-7s...

Is your set up a little overkill?

==========================================================

With regular speakers I agree... With Klipsch I still think he would be fine. With the grand signature and signature amps I am sure your over the 2007 cost though.

One thing some people have been suggesting, is going the fantastic high end pre amp route... and commercial grade amps for power like QSC, Mackie, etc., etc. I can vouch the Mackie amps I use for Karaoke are dead quiet... clean, incredible dynamics, and will run all day withought ANY problems.

http://mackie.com/pdf/m800_ss.pdf

Just a thought.

Looks I am heading towards the Sunfire Theater Grand IV route now. What I am not sure of is how I am going to power it. I have a Carver TFM-45 already in use and am thinking about just finding 2 more of them for power and calling it a day. Do you guys think I would be crazy running a new Theater Grand with 3 10 year old amps? Thanks for info.

Indy,

The Sunfire Signature amps have the same voltage gain gain ratio as most solid state amps, about 29:1. They are very quiet. They have a 20% bigger power supply than the standard Sunfire amps and put out 20% higher voltage. In order to put out the higher voltage, more output devices are used per channel. The net result is that you stay in the amps' fully linear output region and area os safe operation.

Movies have 30 decibel transients. A 30 db transient requires 1,000 times the power. The Sunfire amps put out the current and voltage without clipping. I would not call that overkill, but rather a margin of safety from clipping.

I used to subscribe to the Klipsch are easy to drive theory until I listened to the difference in amplification and remembered the 2.8 ohm minimum impedance of the RF-7s. With such speakers, you can hear the difference with better amps.

Bill