Surround help

iriseagainsti

Hello everyone. I had a question about my setup and what you all thought would be best. I am using a 5.1 setup.

I have a pair of Synergy F-3s as my mains, SC1 as my center, a KSW-12, and my choice of surrounds -- either SB-3 bookshelves or SS.5s.

Do you guys suggest using the smaller surround speakers as my rear surrounds? Or should I place the larger SB-3s back there? Thanks!

- Kevin

Kevin,

I just went through the same thing with either KG3.5's or SS-1's and it boils down to 'do you want direct-radiating or dipole' for surround sound and here's your answer:

There is no correct answer. Some companies say dipoles are better because it helps envelope you with sound and some companies say direct radiating are better now because there are discrete rear channels. I read a lot of articles and listened to a lot of people on this forum but what it comes down to is WHAT DO YOU THINK SOUNDS BEST.

I chose the SS-1's because they sounded better, to me, for movies and they were smaller and wall mounted. If you listen to a lot of multi-channel music you may like the larger speakers better.

And I hate to say this because this is not why I posted but I'm selling my SS-1's (just got a deal on some SS-3's) if you're interested. My email is joshlukins@hotmail.com.

I am about to be faced with a similar choice.

I am going to aim for using the wide dispersion speaker for sides, and the bookshelfs for rears when I convert to 7.1, but for now, in my 5.1 setup, I am going to use the luxury of having both sets on hand to test to see what I like best.

Do you have access to these speakers to test them? Because as the post above states, you ultimately need to see which sounds better to YOU as both will work.

• Like 1

Actually I got both the SS.5s and the SB-3s from work, both practically brand new, for a steal. 30 bucks a pair. I couldn't say no. I just wanted to know because I really don't have anything to use as speaker stands for the rears right now and I know that I can wall-mount my SS.5s with no problems. But I can't accurately test the SB-3s until I buy a couple stands. Before I shell out like $60-90 for stands, if I was told that dipoles were that much better I wouldn't bother and just hold onto the SB-3s until I bought a 7.1 receiver -- right now I only have a 6.1 capable one.

Thanks for the help, guys. Any other opinions would be helpful too =]

Side-note: Oh, and I thought I might try playing music through the SB-3s off of my computer...now, I don't know if it's because I'm running it off of a Logitech z560 amp (a 4.1 pc speaker system, at 8 ohms), but the Athena Point 5 MK IIs, which are easily half the size, sounded a lot better. Is this because Klipsch speakers are more Movie-based speakers? Or do you think it has something to do with a crossover set on my PC, sub, or the compression of an mp3?