Rear Surrounds - in wall? or in ceiling?

kentmjohnson

In-wall would be way better, especially if you don't have just one main listening position. The cieling speakers will be shooting straight down and they are hard to hear when off axis, so you will need to place them just above and little behind the main listening position. However, other seats in the room won't hear them as well because they're not pointing at them. The in-walls however shoot out into the room and can be heard everywhere and they will sound more like they're coming from behind (instead of overhead), which is how its supposed to be.

What about having both the surrounds and back surrounds on/in the wall behind the listening area?

===================================================================

Some people prefer it this way too. Put the side surrounds near the back corners shooting forward....and the Back surrounds more closer to the middle shooting at your sweetspot behind you. (As I understand it in a 7.1 setup, the back surrounds are a mono (matrixed) mix anyhow.)

This way, your engulfed in the sound. Try it first if you can.

So which in wall speakers would you recommend? I have 3 to 3.5 inches of depth. Here is my current setup.

Denon AVR 3300 - soon to be upgraded to the AVR 5805 or Parasound Halo

Klipsch KLF20's

KV3 Center

RSW12 Sub

BTW, how do the KLF20's stand up against some of the current klipsch models? RF7's I believe.

----------------

On 6/28/2005 6:28:44 PM kentmjohnson wrote:

So which in wall speakers would you recommend? I have 3 to 3.5 inches of depth. Here is my current setup.

Denon AVR 3300 - soon to be upgraded to the AVR 5805 or Parasound Halo

Klipsch KLF20's

KV3 Center

RSW12 Sub

BTW, how do the KLF20's stand up against some of the current klipsch models? RF7's I believe.

----------------

It appears the only Reference in-wall offering under 3.75" mounting depth in the CS-650-W at about 3.1". You could take a look at the Synergies to see what they offer. Otherwise you would have to make small architectural modifications or choose another mounting location.