Khorns updates

OldGuy

----------------

On 7/6/2005 4:46:58 PM PrestonTom wrote:

Sealing the horizontal portions to the walls/corners probably has the more noticeable impact on the bass. The effect of sealing the tailpiece was less noticeable.

----------------

If this were the case, why wouldn't Klipsch provide a gasket for the top of the bass bin, as they do for the tailboard?

On 7/6/2005 5:21:56 PM Parrot wrote:

On 7/6/2005 4:46:58 PM PrestonTom wrote:

Sealing the horizontal portions to the walls/corners probably has the more noticeable impact on the bass. The effect of sealing the tailpiece was less noticeable.

If this were the case, why wouldn't Klipsch provide a gasket for the top of the bass bin, as they do for the tailboard?

Don't know, but you certainly don't want pressure leakage there. It defeats the openning gaps on the side that make up the horn.

On 7/4/2005 1:34:43 PM psg wrote:

Another difference (and I am not sure when it was introduced) is the use of rubber "flanges and gaskets" to help seal the K-Horns into the corners. There are a number of posts describing some fairly simple homemade versions using pipe foam. I tried this on my 1982's and the result was noticeable and pleasing.

Good luck,

-Tom

I would think that a seal is needed along the top, between the bass and top bins, since you don't have air pressure to drop through that gap. So placement of horizontal pipe foam. I'm seen pictures of vertical pieces of foam, but I can't see the logic in sealing the back to the wall.

Am I right?

Okay... I pulled one from the corner to check it out.

The tailboard also needs to be sealed because the top of the bass bin doesn't go into the corner. There's a huge gap there and air pressure would escape up that chimmey if the tailboard wasn't sealed.

My problem is that the gap they left at the bottom of the tailboard for baseboards is too large and there's no easy way to seal that part.

BTW, it cost me all of C$2.96 plus tax for 4 pieces of 1/2 tube insulation to do both speakers today! Pretty cheap mod!