Theta, Lexicon or Meridian processor

playntheblues

I'm fairly new to the HOme theater gig. I am planning on purchasing Klipsch RF7's a RSW 15 Sub and the matching center for starters. I currantly have a pair of K-horns that I will be selling. The RF7's will be powered by the Dodd Audio 120 watt monos and I thinking of trying my TEac 700 for the center and surrounds for starters. Two channel audio is the most important thing to me. What do you guys feel is the best processor? I have been looking at the above. Which would include Meridian 861, Lexicon MC-12 or the Theta Digital CASABLANCA. I need to have an onboard DAC and would like room correction. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. All the best, Guy

The first thing that you need to be aware of is the fact that HD DVD will be out later this year with new surround formats. There will be backward compatability, but why make a major investment that will become technologially obsolete very soon?

Some of the new formats will not use compression, but will use MLP.

The Meridian processors work best with Meridian speakers that have built-in amps etc. For better information on Theta and Lexicon, ask on the AVS forum in addition to here.

The folks that make processors are industry followers for the most part. They tend to be very slow, if they offer upgrades to keep up with surround formats.

For room correction, be advised that Pioneer flagships have very high quality DACs. They have started this trend and have new gear due out later this year. Outboard amps would be needed for the RF-7s, however.

My advice is to keep the Khorns and await developments. If you do get the RF-7s, get DeanG to upgrade the crossovers. I have RF-7s with upgraded crossovers and play multi-channel music. You need to hear Dean's work to appreciate it.

Bill

Due to our room. The K-horns have to go unfortunitly. As I mentioned above I have tube mono blocks for the left and right channels and will go digital for the other three. Yes I have already spoken with Dean, his crossovers will be first on my list. Lexicons older unit the MC-1 now sells for about 1,200. used and thetas casablanca II is about 3,000. instead of 9,000. Would either of these units do the trick? Again two channel stereo is very important to us. Thanks,Guy

Guy,

The Theta lacks room correction and given their typical development schedule it could take many many years (if ever) for it to arrive.

The Meridian and Lexicon are both top notch pieces of equipment. You wouldn't go wrong with either. I have a V4 MC-12B and it is great.

Shop around for the Lex... they are available for well under list if you know where to buy.

Shawn

The Lexicon MC12B-V4 is top shelf. With the V4 and the mic kit isn't MSRP about $15K?

I understand the HALCRO gear coming out is very impressive. Some state the TactAudio pre-pro has a killer room correction feature.

For me the Parasound HALO C1 is hard to beat for the money but no room correction (new software offers advanced EQ'ing).

The new McIntosh is getting good press and reviews but no room correction as I recall.

Regards,

Mike

"The Lexicon MC12B-V4 is top shelf. With the V4 and the mic kit isn't MSRP about $15K?"

Pretty close, just under $14k MSRP. Shop around though... you can get it for *much* less then that. And if you can forgo the room EQ there is always the MC-8 and MC-4 as well. The core surround processing is identical between the three.

There are also trade in programs from time to time which can help with the purchase of a Lexicon.

"I understand the HALCRO gear coming out is very impressive."

Hard to say really until it is out. They are using one of the Flextronics (or whatever they are calling themselves now.. Vinci?) DSP platforms like so many others including Parasound. It kind of ties them to the mercy of the DSP platform supplier for what they can offer later on.

Shawn

I use a Lexicon MC-1. Whether it'll do what you need really depends. In regards to the post above about it's abilities for stereo, I wholeheartedly disagree. I find that it does quite a good job in 2-channel. One issue with the MC-1 is that it does not have analog 5.1 inputs for SACD/DVD-A. Otherwise it is a great pre.

I haven't spent much time listening to the MC-12 because in all honesty, it's well out of my budget. It is supposed to have a newer/better version of logic7, and a number of other enhancements.

If you're interested in multi channel SACD or DVD-A, then the MC-12 is definately worth looking into. If you don't have any interest in SACD or DVD-A, and are on a stricter budget, then check out the MC-1.

HALCRO SSP100 = $10K MSRP.

As far as the price of the Lexicon MC12B V4, did you include the mic kit?

If so my bad.

Yep you can get 20-35% off this stuff but beware of the source. Make sure they are legit.

Example: There used to be a "downtownaudio" on eBay in Baltimore Md. Well while in business in bmore there mailing address was a Mail store (did UPS shipping, FedEx and copies).

Their reply was we are in NY and that locations handles our mail. We give great deals do you want it or not...

Regards,

mm

Shade,

" In regards to the post above about it's abilities for stereo, I wholeheartedly disagree. I find that it does quite a good job in 2-channel. One issue with the MC-1 is that it does not have analog 5.1 inputs for SACD/DVD-A. Otherwise it is a great pre."

Yup, lots of MC-1 owners bought them for use with music. Esp. those that use Music Logic on their CDs.

Mmiles,

"As far as the price of the Lexicon MC12B V4, did you include the mic kit?"

Yes.

MSRP of v4 MC-12B is $13k, mics are $795.

"Yep you can get 20-35% off this stuff but beware of the source. Make sure they are legit."

I have seen considerably more off then that and it was from Lexicon dealers.

Shawn