1 pair of speakers connected to 2 amps. Can you do this?

mmiles

I have a set of Martin Logan Summits presently connected to a Parasound HALO A51 amp.

I am in the process of at least considering a two channel set up and would like to connect a pair of Parasound HALO JC-1 monoblocks or try one of the new PS AUDIO amps to the same speakers.

In demo rooms you can switch the AVR source between multiple speakers but what about the other way around so to speak?

Is feedback voltage a concern to damage the other amp?

The application would only have on amp on at a time not both.

Comments...

Regards,

Mike

Yes you can, Mike. I run a Niles DPS-1 switcher for my rear Altecs and run them with a Rotel solid state amp and also a nice tube amp. You can pick up this switching unit at JandR.com or a variety of other vendors, and it runs about $60 or so. The Niles is a nifty-little device, and I have not noticed any degredation in quality. It has a resistor in the unit to prevent any problems, but to be sure, I also do not have both amps on at the same time. Set up is pretty simple - run sets of speaker wires from each amp to the Niles and another set from the Niles to your speakers. The little unit works so well I am contemplating adding another for my mains so I can run different amps depending on the mood, crank quotient and application.

Carl.

It's best to use a switching device like carl uses because the instant you turn both amps on at the same time (say by accident) you're going to start damaging things. And usually when an amp goes, the speakers go with it.