New Generation Center for Kg4s

kfalls

I currently have a system using the Kg4s as mains, SW8 as upper bass, RS-3 surrounds for front effects and rear. I use a KV-3 for the center and I'm very happy with it, but felt it may sound better if the center had 8" woofers like the Kg4's. I bought the KLF-C7, but I didn't like it. It sounded as though the dialogue was going over your head no matter how much you tilt it downward. Also I didn't hear any benefit with the 8" woofers.

I like the look of the copper cerametallic woofer in the RS-3s and thought the RC3 II, or the RC-35 might have what I'm looking for in a center. Does anyone have opinions on any of the three centers with the Kg4 mains. I know there's some controvercy between the RC3 II and the RC-35, but I'm not trying to match a pair of RF-3 or RF-5s, just opinions on the centers listed when used with the Kg4s.

Thanks.

The general rule is that you want to keep the speakers all as closely matched by voice as possible. So, in this case, your KV-3 is best suited for the job. You might get some of the KG-4 woofers off of eBay and see if you can find a KG-4 tweeter and crossover there as well (they come up from time to time) and build your own custom center using identical KG-4 parts (although you will most likely need to magnetically shield all of them).

Going with Reference would probably not provide a good match. I am currently running Legends (KLF-30) up front with Reference center and surrounds, which seems to match pretty well. I've run KG-2.5's in the past, and can say that the KG series and Reference are different animals. The KLF-C7 would probably match closer than a Reference center, and since it didn't work out, I wouldn't bet too much on the RC-3/RC-35.

Perhaps someone here has had some experience in this area, though, and can provide different insight...

The only center with 8" woofers that will match the timbre as closely as possible to your KG4's is an Academy.

I also think that a KG 2.2V or 2.5V would be a better match than the KV series that was designed to mate with the CF series speakers.

The Reference center will be like the KLF-C7 it will stick out like a sore thumb when matched with the KG4's.