Downstairs remodeling questions?

unatheo

I'm currently remodeling the downstairs portion of the house. I have torn the ceiling out and put in recessed lighting. The room is 81"(6.75 feet) high by 133"(11.08 feet) wide by 237"(19.75 feet) long. Both entrances are on the left most side of the room along with 3 windows down the left hand side also.I plan on installing ceiling speakers and wall speakers for a "party" room and future bedroom when the kids get old enough for us to move downstairs. Any suggestions for speaker placement(7.1 surround sound), how many, and maybe a future home theater, optimum television size for this size room. I'll also be installing an old computer (with most of my music files ) to the downstairs area. Phase II consist of adding a television over the full bathroom beyond the main room. The rooms are also being prewired for satellite or cable television too. Many thanks in advance.

First off welcome!

Without knowing your budget, and understanding kids involved etc etc.. and that "in walls" will never sound as good as real speakers...

You seem to be a good candidate for the new synergy system line. Buy the bigger one and they have a new sub 12" that we all heard at the Klipsch weekend that was pretty good.. ok, very good IMO.

http://klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=868

My reasons for saying this..??

This looks like your first entry into 7.1 surround sound. It is a great system for most people, and availiable, and easy too at best buys. Get a good amp/ dvd player and your set.

Also at best buy you can get a cabinet a TV (HDTV) as well your cieling height is not very tall so look for a low cabinet but you do have good distance front to back. With that many windows, a projection screen might be out of the question and serious $$ too.

We probably need more info, but the inwalls will never give you what a normal box system will.

I have a 5.0 system upstairs with includes a 65" mitsubishi, Klipsch Cornwalls, KLF C-7 centerchannel, SS1 for rear surround sound, Harmon Kardon receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Sony touchpad remote and Hitachi VCR (yes those are still around ...LOL). The reason for choosing in wall speakers is due to the ceiling height. The new system will be mainly driven from a computer that ties into the receiver then speakers. The speakers will be bought next month when we get back from vacation. My budget for the room will be about $2650-$3650. I would prefer to come in under budget but I will spend the money for quality.This budget includes sweat equity (i.e me and wife) , materials, and electronic equipment. The 6 recessed lighting and labor(friend is master electrician) was about $350.00. There are zero kids now but one is on the way :-) hence the hustle to get it done before feb.

The low ceilings in those older homes are really tough to work around. I also own a home with a low basement built in the 50's... but it's in an established neighbourhood I like. So it's a compromise I can live with.

You can do 7.1 with ceiling speakers but Roger is right about the poor quality they produce versus conventional units. I've heard this first hand in actual installations. The problem arises from the fact that most speakers do not perform optimally off axis... but placing them in the ceiling will but you in that position. Low ceilings actually worsen this problem and each seat in the house will have a different balance due to off axis response. Note demo rooms are usually quite a bit taller.

Inwalls are actually a much better option... but I would try to use real mains.

The positioning of the surrounds are two behind the seating area and two to the sides of the seating area.

We don't mean to discourage you... just want to make sure you are aware of the shortcomings.

Welcome on board...

Rob

PS: 5.0 upstairs?... we need to find you a sub... 2.gif

Thanks-I'm leaning towards inwalls now. It will only involve a small hole(s) near the top of the ceiling. My home was built in 1955 so I'm glad that you replied to this thread. It's nice to hear of someone else that has gone through this same sort of design problem. lol....and about the 5.0 system the Klipsch cornwalis already rocks but once I get downstairs done I'm taking to the wife about dedicating the upstairs system to a full blow theater. She is into movies as much as I am!

----------------

On 8/1/2005 7:13:05 PM unatheo wrote:

My home was built in 1955 so I'm glad that you replied to this thread. It's nice to hear of someone else that has gone through this same sort of design problem.

----------------

Very similar... 1956 in my case. Feel free to post up any question you may have.

BTW, my HT is also currently upstairs (in my living room), and a dedicated basement room is in the planning stage. I'll be using Heritage for both systems though... got to put all these large boxes to good use... 2.gif

Later...

Rob

unatheo: Take a look at my setup via the url below. Our room sizes are nearly identical and your intentions for the room as a multi-purpose room are the same as mine. I have 2 RF-7s and an RC-7 up front, an RS-7 on each side, and an RCW-5 on each side in the back wall. An RSW-15 rounds-out our 7.1 system. The sound is incredible. Check it out and maybe it'll give you a few ideas?

^^^ AWESOME setup Picky!!! I am not only envious of your system, I also wish my 1955 brick ranch had a basement, LOL

BTW, "..Inwalls are actually a much better option... but I would try to use real mains.." I would add that while inwalls might be a better option for sound qaulity, ANY permenently installed (inwall/cieling) speakers are going to cause problems in the future . . .

I say this because I think speaker placement is very critical and inwall/cieling speakers can't easily be relocated to see if an alternate postition sounds better, let alone if the wife decides to re-arrange the furniture, which in a "multi-purpose" room WILL happen

----------------

On 8/2/2005 11:24:00 AM Petrol wrote:

^^^ AWESOME setup Picky!!! I am not only envious of your system, I also wish my 1955 brick ranch had a basement, LOL

----------------

Petrol: Thanks, man! 2.gif

----------------

On 8/2/2005 11:24:00 AM Petrol wrote:

^^^ AWESOME setup Picky!!! I am not only envious of your system

----------------

Yeah, Picky really got it right in his space it just makes you want to hang out there. I really would like to capture some of the same charm / warmth the "small house theatre" has. Sometimes we can get a little carried away with the acoustics aspects, but we shouldn't forget the room has to be inviting so that you use it.

As I've already said... job well done.4.gif

----------------

BTW, "..Inwalls are actually a much better option... but I would try to use real mains.." I would add that while inwalls might be a better option for sound qaulity, ANY permenently installed (inwall/cieling) speakers are going to cause problems in the future ...

----------------

Good point... without a doubt, good freestanding speakers will offer the best performance and flexibility, but not everyone's priorities are the same.

Rob

formica: GOSH! {blush} Thanks, man! 9.gif2.gif

----------------

On 8/3/2005 2:52:45 PM unatheo wrote:

Picky-

Awesome! I got a quite a few ideas from the set up. That was the kind of help I was expecting y'all. Matter of fact, I'm going downstairs right now to knock out the wall from the old walkin closet!----------------

unatheo: Now, THAT'S the spirit! Go get that #12 bashing tool and get busy!! 9.gif

I'm glad you found my room inspiring. If you need any details be sure to email me.

I've been to Picky's. Not only does it ROCK, but it's very utilitarian, warm and inviting (kinda like him). I have visited quite a few Forum members' HT setups, and have never seen anyone create such a monumental sound/viewing experience in a small space as Picky has.

He is not kidding when he dims the lights, shuts the vacuum sealed doors and tells you:

"You are about to experience a change in the air pressure"!

Learn from the masters.

Michael

Yep: It was a great time when Michael visited. After that RSW-15 got done with us, we both had to re-comb our hair.....and I am nearly BALD! LOL!

Thanks for the good words, Pal! You are welcome at my place ANY TIME! 2.gif