No sub or center speaker

Andytheman

I have the newer Ultra's 5.1. Why can't I get my sub and center speakers to make a sound when testing? My Audigy sound card tests all the speakers (I have it set on 5.1) but only the fronts and rears work. I have unplugged and re-plugged all cables back in but it hasn't made any difference. I understand that the black cord is for the center and sub together could it be a bad cord? Strange though that even though the sub doesn't test out, I can get a deep bass sound down to 10Hz if I want it to when testing on Boston's bass test site so it does work. I tried the green cord from the black on the amp to center on the sound card with no luck.

The center is dead altogether. What's up? Any ideas?

Thanks.

OK JJK I tried to get it working through windows sound configuration but everything is the same. Although the bass is working, I don't hear it if I test it by itself but I know it works so I am not concerned about it. My center however only works if I plug it through a different "IN" on the amp. Any other ideas? Thanks

Andytheman

This was taken from a review of the Multimedia Ultra 5.1 at "Audiovideo.com"

<Quote>

Weaknesses:

I dont like the (3)1/4" pin inputs that uses 2 channels per pin. I had a hard time determining which was which by trial and error. I have a soundblaster live 5.1 card and nothing corresponds. nothing is color coded. I would prefer 5 discrete rca's using the wires to adapt to the pin plugs on the PC. This way I could experiment with my reciever,boom box, tv, playstation or whatever. Ive heard they make the cables but they shouldnt be neccesary. <Unquote>

JJK This is what my problem is. I have the same card and that is why I am having a hard time matching the soundblaster live 5.1 to the ultra's. Although everything is color coded in my case. They still don't match. I have it pretty much under control now but for the lack of a center speaker which is driving me nuts.

you have to turn on thecenter speaker in the soundblaster software by selecting 5.1 speakers. You have to turn off the digital output. AND you have to turn on 5.1 decoding in the DVD player software (like PowerDVD or WinDVD). The standard versions of DVD software might not have 5.1 capability.