One More Veneer Question

Yesfan70

I'm fixing to put in an order to Tape Ease. I see it mentioned here quite a bit on the forums, so I might give them a shot.

What's the difference between 10mil and 2-ply backer? I'm guessing the veneer I need also would be the flat cut Red Oak finish.

Any idea on what finish to use to get the medium oak look on my KG5.5? Feel free to add anything else that I might need to know.

Apreciate the help and advice. Thanks.

10 mill is paper back sometimes it has a foil midle layer mostly not a 2 ply has wood on both sides and it has the 10 mill paper in the middle 2 ply is thicker around.050 vs 10mill of .030 these are about the thickness depending how much was sanded off i work in the veneer industry and supply custom yachts with plywood and 10mill and stuff like that and personly im making some la scalas now out of scrap material just need to wait for wast (drops) of veneer hope this was helpful my lascala pic will be posted in the future useing exotic wood havnt seen them don in it yet

Wood backed and paper back are both very good for contact cement applications by far eaiser and permanent. Solid wood veneers can be harder to work with and do not accept this method very well at times. You will see many using the iron on method for solid wood.

Watch sanding because the veneer is thinner than you think and once sanded trhough it is ruined.

I will attach a small article that is good reading for the Iron on method:

Ironveneer13.jpg