My analog A to Z

jazman

jazman,

Nice work on the analog upgrade. Reports like yours are helpful to people like me who don't really understand what vinyl is capable of or how to get there .. for example, the ZYX impressions. Your setup is really good looking. VPI advertisements don't do their own equipment justice.

Leo

----------------

On 8/6/2005 7:45:20 AM mdeneen wrote:

Superb rig there Jazzman -- thanks for the detailed report. With all the upgraded parts and such, what's the final bill o' fare for such a rig?

mdeneen
----------------

Mark,

The upgraded parts were really very minor in impact on the total cost. $11.99 for the Aries 2 feet upgrade. I used the same 300 rpm motor I was using for the motor upgrade with my Scout, but purchased a different pulley at $15.00. To upgrade from a 600 rpm motor to a 300 rpm motor is $129.00. I also use a turntable motor controller, the VPI PLC, which I also used with my Scout. I found the spare second JMW-10 armwand for only $275. The antistatic belt I believe was $29.99. The major cost items were 1) the used Aries table with TNT platter and motor. 2)The used JMW-10 tonearm. 3)The ZYX R1000 3SB. The ZYX was THE most expensive single item.

I think it is important to mention that vinyl is my primary sound source. I have never wavered in my direction toward improving my source equipment for vinyl playback, so this is an evolutionary move, not a revoluntionary one. The playback performance level I wished to achieve is not "cheap", so I do not want to underplay that. I can send you the the cost of the last three items by email if you'd like. I can say, I spent less than Max.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 8/6/2005 11:19:17 AM joshnich wrote:

Edmund,

How low is the output of the ZYX? Are you able to use your Wright WPP100 as is?

Josh
----------------

Josh,

The ZYX has an output of 0.24mV. I use a step up device constructed with 2 Tamura TKS 27 transformers. The Wright could be pushed the output level needed, but the noise(hum) when not playing an LP would not be pretty.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 8/6/2005 12:22:22 PM leok wrote:

jazman,

Nice work on the analog upgrade. Reports like yours are helpful to people like me who don't really understand what vinyl is capable of or how to get there .. for example, the ZYX impressions. Your setup is really good looking. VPI advertisements don't do their own equipment justice.

Leo
----------------

Leo,

VPI is still basiclly an operation run by the owner and designer, Harry and his wife. Their turntables sell more by word of mouth and by someone hearing one than by marketing dollars. The VPI JMW series tonearms are also considered "world class". The piano black finish of the Aries is always a beautiful sight.

The ZYX cartridges are not mainstream here in the US, but they will be one day. It is of some note that Max and I were both keen on ZYX Airy offerings though we are thousands of miles apart, and I'm sure no one doubts Max's commitment to vinyl. ZYX has many less expensive options than the road I selected. The R1000 3SB is very near the top of the cartirdge worlds food chain.

Klipsch out.