Able to hookup RW10 to my Sony receiver?

BSMan36

I just bought an RW10 sub, and was told by my salesperson at the stereo shop, that I won't be able to hook up the sub to my current receiver. I have an older style Sony receiver, STR-D711, which is a Dolby ProLogic surround receiver. It does not have a dedicated sub output on it, or any controls to adjust the output going to this sub. It has outputs for front, rear, and center speakers. I asked him if I could run another set of speaker wires from the front outputs to the sub; he said something to the effect that the receiver may not be able to handle powering both the fronts and the sub (impedance problem??). I eventually am getting a new receiver with a dedicated sub output and ability to regulate the output to the sub, but in the meantime, I need to know if I'm going to be able to use the old receiver with the RW10 sub.

Any advice welcome........

STR-D711 receiver (soon to be replaced), klipsch RB-5 II fronts, klipsch RW10 sub, klipsch RC25 center, SpeakerCraft AIM8 One ceiling rears.

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, get a new salesman. That guy is all wet. There is no problem running the RW-10 off you receiver's speaker outputs. It is a powered sub. That means it has it's own amplifier built in. In other words, the receiver won't be driving the sub, the sub's amp will be.

Seriously, I would not buy anything from this Bozo again and I certainly would not take any advice from him!

Enjoy your new sub!

----------------

On 8/6/2005 12:06:23 AM scriven wrote:

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, get a new salesman. That guy is all wet. There is no problem running the RW-10 off you receiver's speaker outputs. It is a powered sub. That means it has it's own amplifier built in. In other words, the receiver won't be driving the sub, the sub's amp will be.

Seriously, I would not buy anything from this Bozo again and I certainly would not take any advice from him!

Enjoy your new sub!

----------------

Good Morning!

Will the subs amp amplify the signal even if you connect the sub via the rear speaker in/out terminals? I am not sure myself and the manual does not give this information.

I know the amp will work if you connect the sub via line in or lfe.

I am asking this, becaus I am thinking about buying a second sub to add more punch to the surround channels. As the LFE of my amp is already connected to my main sub, I would have to run the second sub via the rear speaker terminals.

Nick

"Good Morning!

Will the subs amp amplify the signal even if you connect the sub via the rear speaker in/out terminals? I am not sure myself and the manual does not give this information.

I know the amp will work if you connect the sub via line in or lfe."

good morning,

I am not familiar with your sub does it have speaker in and out or just line in and out, both?

if it has speaker wire ins and outs, the sub will take any low frequency and amplify it, it will then send the rest to your speakers without amplifying. Say you set your crossover at 80hz, anything 80 and lower will go to to the subs amp, everything else will go to corresponding speaker.

anakin, you could always split the lfe signal to a second sub amplifying all lfe more. Or if you have preamp output jacks you could run the surrounds to the new sub with crossover at 80hz.

----------------

On 8/6/2005 3:01:23 AM Anakin26 wrote:

... Will the subs amp amplify the signal even if you connect the sub via the rear speaker in/out terminals? ...

I am asking this, becaus I am thinking about buying a second sub to add more punch to the surround channels. ...

----------------

Nick,

Welcome to you too!

The sub ALWAYS uses it's amp to drive it's speaker. If it is being driven with speakers outputs it runs the incoming signal through some circuitery to reduce it back down to a line level.

I don't think it would do much good to put a sub on the rear channels. They don't put much (if any?) low frequency information in the rear channels. There is also a good chance that if your receiver/processor sees any back there it will route it to the LFE channel anyway. You could run a second sub by splitting the LFE line and driving both subs with that.

----------------

On 8/6/2005 6:35:06 AM travisc wrote:

... I am not familiar with your sub does it have speaker in and out or just line in and out, both?

if it has speaker wire ins and outs, the sub will take any low frequency and amplify it, it will then send the rest to your speakers without amplifying. Say you set your crossover at 80hz, anything 80 and lower will go to to the subs amp, everything else will go to corresponding speaker. ...

----------------

The RW-10 has LFE, line and speaker inputs. If you feed it line or speaker inputs they will go through the low pass filter to the subs amp. The LFE input bypasses the filter. It will not send the rest to the speakers. It does not have speaker outputs, only inputs.

Here is a copy of the owners manual.

Thanks for the nice welcome!

And thanks for the information. I picked up the RF-7 system at my local dealer yesterday. To add a little more punch to the whole system I bought an acoustic research chronos W38 woofer, which was on sale.

The system is now set up as follows:

Front: RF-7s

Center: RC-7

Surround: RS-7s supported by KSW-12 9.gif

Rear-Surrounds: SB-15s at the moment, but I have another pair of RS-7s. I just have to find a good way to mount them.

SW: ar chronos w38

I have routed the surround channels trough the KSW-12.

To make this work, I had to make some adjustments to my processor. First, I set the surrounds to large, making sure they will be "hit" with the full bandwith signal. Second I set the bass handling to "both", which will send all bass information to the lfe as well as to the speakers set to "large".

Result: Amazing. Listening to Diana Kralls "The girl in the other room" SACD is overwhelming. They DO send low frequenzies to the rear channels. Same thing with "the incredibles".

I will have a test session tonight. I will post my findings tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for your help. Now I have to clean up the mess here (screwdrivers, drills, cables....).

Have a nice day!

Nick