Heresy

Bonzo

I'm am brand new to the site. Just bought a pair of Heresy's to replace my Cornwall's. I just got married, enough said! I would like a "quick fix" to mellow the upper mids some. I really don't want to mess with the crossovers at this time. Maybe dampen the mid horn or some poly-fill? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think the Heresey's are from 1983.

Hey Mark, welcome to the Forum. Are you a drummer? Bonzo was the best man!

Congrats on the Heresies, but wish you'd kept the Cornwalls, they have much more solid bass.

You're right, first is to kill the ringing of the metal horns if that's what you've got. I've had a lot of luck with the rope caulking bit. Next might be xover mods, but one at a time. POLY fill is NOT recommended.

Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael. Yep, played drums for over 30 years! Bonzo was THE MAN!

Would you caulk around the edge or mouth of the horn then re-attach it to the front baffle? Bear with me, I am not "Handy Dan."

go to SEARCH, look up Cornwall mods glossary as I know rope caulk trick is there. or just SEARCH for rope caulk.

It's also called mortite, basically a 3/16" bead of grey clay-like caulk on a roll, about 8 beads wide. Leave it linked together. I normally put a layer from mouth to throat, smoosh it down really good, then another layer wrapped around that one (it's kind of awkward, cause it's a weird flared conical surface, just do the best you can), and smoosh that down really good.

It helps to put the metal horn out in the sun for a bit before you start and the caulk is best worked with slightly warm.

The nice thing about this mod versus damping materials of any other type is that the caulk can be removed pretty cleanly and easily, thus turning your horns back to standard issue. But it does work really well.

I'll dig and try to give ya a couple of links.

try this one

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=62369&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={397355C4-29CB-4DD9-8A9F-F64CE3EF4F1A}

Michael

Greetings Bonzo,

I appreciate the difficulties in finding speakers that meet "the approval". No good advice on that one.

The brightness you are hearing may be a result of not having the lower bass that you have been used to. Just a thought. However, I also own Heresys and although they are bass shy, the bass that they do reproduce seems accurate and even. Many cabinets can not even do that.

The issue of dampening material or fill is not always well understood (in my opinion). Fill can break up back reflections for wavelengths that are not too long (i.e., lower frequencies). However, it can help with the higher frequencies (maybe). It is frequently used to tame some irregularities at the low end, not by breaking up the reflections (which it will not - the large wavelengths remain unaffected), but rather the velocity of the wave will be slowed. This, in effect, makes the cabinet appear to be "larger". In doing that, the resonances and anti-resonances of the cabinet are shifted. This is a folksy explanantion. But I bring it up since folks frequently have mismatched expectations about what fill & dampening material can do or not do.

In a word, the cabinet size and geometry is dictated by resonances in the woofer and should not be changed. It was done by design. The issue of fill or dampening was designed in concert with the basic design of the cabinet (its geometry and porting). Changing that is risky, if any improvement were to be gleaned it would be by much trial and error and the change in sound would be a compromise of some beneifts and some detriments.

good luck,

-Tom