very high current Amp?

Petrol

I often seen the term "High Current" tossed around combined with an amp power rating . . .

I have also seen mentioned an amp that has is "very high current"

Help a newbie out...in layman's terms if you can...what "makes" an amp HIGH CURRENT?

are there standards qualifing them of this term?

High current amps can be spotted by not only the amps produced peak to peak, but also by how close they come to doubleing as the impedance is reduced to 4 ohms and 2 ohms. A very high current amp may even give a 1 ohm rateing.

High current is needed when a speaker has a difficult impedance curve.. Speakers that are easy to drive usually have an 8 ohm or higher nominal impedance. When the nominal impedance drops below 8 ohms, the speaker gets harder to drive, So a 4 ohm speaker requires twice as much current to drive as an 8 ohm speaker.

An eye also needs to be kept on minimum impedances, particularly in lower frequencies.

Bill

Or may I make an easier suggestion! Simply look for amps like Crown's Macrotech series that demand a 30 amp electrical service and justifiably have a 7/8" diameter 4 guage power cord that resemble the absurdly priced magical current producing candy colored power cords that so many erroneously feel compelled to buy to power everything from their monster SET amps to their iPods! (sorry for all of you who aren't quick enough to catch the hyperbole! - you know, the intentional use of exaggeration to make a point! Oh, but, opps!!, you are probably the same ones who have felt compelled to buy the absurd power cords!!!!)2.gif2.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif11.gif11.gif

----------------

On 8/11/2005 2:51:27 PM D-MAN wrote:

Hey, what are you - a COMMUNIST?! those people with the fancy power cords have a perfect right to buy WHATEVER they want! It's THEIR money!

DM
2.gif
----------------

Nope! A fiscally conservative libertarian!

They are free to be as stupid as they want! And I am free to recognize their right!

And I bet the cords look right nice!!!!!!!

But may I suggest they justify their purchase as a fashion accessory as opposed to some scientifically justified expense!

2.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif

Nope! When I buy absurdly over-designed and over-priced equipment, it includes the correct over-designed power cord as well! I don't have to go buy another over-priced after market power cord!

You would think that those wizard designers of all of your exotic equipment would have some knowledge of AC, wouldn't you!?!?!?!2.gif2.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

Oh..and one more question/comment!!!

I am getting, from the various comments, the feeling that some think I am mad or upset! (And I use 'mad' as a synonym for upset! I am not using it to mean insane! Hey, I pick my debates better then that!!!! I rather fancy at least a SMALL chance of prevailing!! 2.gif2.gif )

HUH?????????????????????????

I am LMAO, albeit with alot of hyperbole in an attempt to make a point in a fun and humorous 'tongue in cheek' way!!!!

If you are reading this in ANY other way, you need to recalibrate!!!2.gif2.gif9.gif9.gif11.gif11.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif

And yes...matching the couch is nice! But it is a fashion accessory, not some lame brained scientifically justified expense! And I will not even touch the wife issue! I fear logic has no legitimate place even being mentioned in such a discussion!3.gif11.gif11.gif

Thanks for the link Danny (dbflash) I'll read up and if I'm lucky, will comprehend some of it

I've just been noting how Denon & HK are advertised as "high-current" and wondering if there is a spec or if any of them can just stake a claim. . . I have noticed that some makes have 8, 6 & 4 ohm power ratings though

I'm was just kind of wondering because (far) down the road, after I manage to pick-up some RF-35s, I'll have a upgraded AVR moving near the top of my 'want' list (although a big screen will likely win out)