What actually happens when speakers CLIP from bad power?

gibby214

----------------

On 8/17/2005 10:34:38 AM sfogg wrote:

If you start noticing your speakers are sounding lousy after turning up the volume back the volume down.

Shawn

----------------

Shawn, those are words to live by for Klipschoholics. If your speaker is sounding lousy so that anyone can tell, you are in fact in the process of frying the voice coil. Man, I wish I had all that data from my testing available so I could post pictures. Dang! Those screen shots are fantastic. In comparing my testing using actual music going into clipping, it would be clipping at a level much harder than your showing. It was all done on a scope and went from mild clipping to massive near perfect square wave clipping. Gee, I wish I had screen shots of that.... oh well. We stressed the power supplies of recievers and amps and that is a very interesting issue in itself. We forced the transformers to draw so much current that the input fusing element would glow and dance. The things we do for fun, and get paid for! Those were the days.....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic