Reference Sub Specs Out!!!

Underhanded Penguin

Well, looks like the specs for the rsw subs are out. My guess was right that they would be expensive. The RSW-10 is out of my budget. Was going to consider it if it was 800 usd or less. But now I will have to settle for the Paradigm pw-2200, which may turn out to be a better sub? Anyone think so? Anyways, my final comment about the RSW subs is I wonder why the decided to only release the RSW-15 in wood veneer finish? The other 2 are vinyl finish. Well, I'm sure they sound kick ***. The RSW-10 is 1050 watts. Although I know specs don't mean that much, 1050 watts!!!!!!????? I'm not even gonna mention the RSW-15...Go look yourself.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

Personally, I went with the PW-2200 in my Klipsch system. I have the RF-3's, RC-3, RS-3's with a PW-2200 sub. I wired my old Sony SA-40 subwoofer in speaker level with my surrounds. Man, this system rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! The back sub made a difference in both 5 channel music and home theatre.

Haven't looked at the specs of the reference subs but they are probably out of my price range

Hi Softwiz! My specs are gonna be similar to yours except my mains are rb-3's instead. (Not enough money and room for floorstanders) how did you wire the sony sub to the surround outs on your receiver? I looked at the back of my denon 1802, and I dont see any extra surround outs? Did you split the signal coming out of the surround outs and then wire it to the sub? I'd really appreciate it if you could explain because I am very inexperienced. Thanks in advance!

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

Well, I don't know how softwiz hooked his up but here's how I would do it. I would first connect the sub to the surround outs on the receiver. Then I would connect the surround speakers to the sub. Next I would change the surround speaker setting to large.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony G420S 19")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Audigy Gamer)

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Sunfire Junior or SVS 25-31PC)

This message has been edited by oogins on 09-20-2001 at 09:02 PM

Hey Paul. This is off topic, but I noticed I have almost the same specs as you for my computer. Thisi s my system:

Athlon TB 900 (OC'd from 800)

Asus A7V

392 MB SDRAM

SB LIVE X gamer (non 5.1)

Maxtor 7200 30 gig

Hercules 3D Prophet geforce 2 gts 64mb (feel so ripped off...bought it when it just came out for 600 Can. dollars/400 USD) now it's like half the price...

Klipsch Promedia 4.2

19" .25 dp KDS monitor

Pioneer 16x dvd

-UP

I'm curious how much better your quintets sound than my 4.2's. I believe I get more and better bass though, unless that sony sub of yours is really good (I don't know)

Anyways, I think this system should last us for at least another year... Smile.gif

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

This message has been edited by Underhanded Penguin on 09-21-2001 at 11:32 AM

UP, you probably do get more and better bass than me. This Sony sub isn't all that great. Fortunately it wasn't expensive. Cost me $100 ($64 US) at a Boxing Day sale. I originally bought it for my Labtec computer speakers. It worked great for those. But now that I'm using the Quintets, it isn't meeting up to my standards. The Sunfire and Carver subs recently caught my interest. I'm going to pick up one of those soon. I should have sufficient bass then. Biggrin.gif

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Sunfire Junior or Carver Knight Shadow)

This message has been edited by oogins on 09-21-2001 at 01:02 PM

Hey Paul, have you looked into the PW2200? I know you read about it on this thread. It's supposed to be a great sub for the money. Check out the reviews on audioreview.com. The reason I tell you this is because I heard that the sunfires and carvers are expensive. the Paradigm PW2200 sells for about 800 Candian dollars, and 800 US dollars. So if you go to Canada to get it, it will be a lot cheaper. Anyways, just thought you might be interested. How much is the sunfire Junior and Carver anyways?

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

I have considered the PW-2200, but the thing that doesn't really appeal to me about it is the size. When I build an actual HT system, maybe I'll take another look at it.

The speakers I'm using are for my computer, as you already know. I bought the Quintets because of their size, and I would like to have a decent sub that is compact as well. Plus I like tight bass, and from my experiences with subs, the smaller ones are better for this.

While the Carver and Sunfire subs are small, they are a bit expensive. Another small sub I've considered is the Velodyne HGS-10, but that thing is REALLY expensive. $1800 US the last time I checked. That's almost $3000 CAN, way out of my price range.

The Carvers and Sunfires have more decent price tags for thier size/performance. The Knight Shadow goes for about $1300 CAN and it's size is 11" cubed. I have yet to find a store in the Calgary area that carries the Sunfire Junior. That baby is 9" cubed. The Junior costs $900 US, about $1500 CAN. I'll most likely get the Knight Shadow because it's cheaper and it goes down to 20 Hz compared to the Junior's 25 Hz. But if I can get the Junior for less than $1300, I'll end up getting it instead.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Sunfire Junior or Carver Knight Shadow)

just got my ksps-6 surrounds about 1 wk. ago, sniffin'round for a sub...like the specs on the rsw-15...temporarily hooked up an energy 12"sub in rt.rear corner, really adds for low-to-mid volume, klf's drown it out mid/high volume, REALLY COOL 'bass management' in strda777es receiver-speakers on small /40 (yes 40)Hz crossover to pwd sub. will have to do 'rattle management' in room. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Oogins I am glad you noticed the Sunfire and Carver subs.

As some here know I have all the Sunfires and also the Knight Shadow sub.

The prices here in canada should be around...

Sunfire Signature $3200

Sunfire Mark II $2200

Sunfire Junior $1400

Carver Knight Shadow $1100

The Carver Knight Shadow is a super value,it has built quality few can match and this small cube delivers 25Hz bass that will hit hard.

I am about to add a second Carver Knight Shadow!This should tell you its a damn good buy and the bass is clean and has ZERO boominess.The 10" super long throw driver is amazing,it delivers the goods.

The Velodynes only get interesting from the HGS15 and up.Also I will get the HGS18 next!

If you compare the Velodyne HGS10 with the Sunfire Mark II,the Sunfire has higher output and the bass is more tactile.

Now the Velodyne HGS12 VS Sunfire Signature,again the Signature gets my vote over the HGS12.Its the only mini sub that beats the living out of the Paradigm PW2200.Only the Servo-15 can match this mini mite,and surpass it in the extreme low end.

Then a Revel B15 outperforms a Vel HGS15 and Servo-15 with ease.

Smile.gif

Ah yes the Carver Knight Shadow...GO FOR IT.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears