Cornwall trouble

jeffck

Eversince I heard a big popping sound. (This happen when I accidently step on speaker cable and rip it off speaker binding posting while the amp is turn on) One of the speaker seems to be less "loud" than the other. What could possible go wrong? Do I need to reaplce its driver unit?

Before taking out the screwdrivers, do a little bit of trouble shooting, you may have damaged the amplifier outputs. Swap the left and right speaker wires, does the quiet speaker remain quiet? If the speaker plays at a normal level, and the other is quieter, then you have a problem in the amplifier.

Thanks for your tip, I already swap amp and trouble shoot with cd-direct to see if there is any problem with my pre-amp also. The result is still the same, one speaker still play in lesser volume than others.

Since there is still sound coming out form the "less loud" speaker, I suspect I blew up something within the MH driver unit since it is noticeably lesser in volume when it compare to HI/Lo unit but will further verify this when I can barrow a test tone disc form friend in order for me to test individual driver unit for volume. It is kinds of hard to do this test when test only with music since I cannot isolate sound form individual driver unit. The horn "presesnce" is so strong that I didn't really notice this problem until I sit at my "sweet spot".

Hope the damage is not too serious and hope expert here can walk me through the "trouble shoot process" in order for me to understand what replacement parts I may need for repairs.

So you have ruled out the amplifier and such, that is the first step. You say that the midrange unit is quieter in one than the other?

To rule out an issue with wiring and the crossover network, swap the midrange driver from one speaker to the other, and listen to see if the problem follows the midrange driver or not.

I do not know what year of cornwalls you have, the newer cornwall II has a driver that is integral with the horn, meaning it does not thread off. If yours is threaded on, it is an easy swap, otherwise you have to install the entire horn and driver assembly in the other cabinet.

Let us know how that works out for you.