Surround matching for KLF-10, C7; Subwoofers, Cables (Need Some Advice)

Garrett

Hi All - Just became a member of the Klipsch Klub this week with my purchase of a pair of KLF-10's and a KLF-C7. I plan to purchase a Denon 3802 shortly. I've read many of the posts both on this forum and on AudioReview.com, and they've all been very helpful. At this point, I need a little help on a few related subjects:

1. Which would be the best matching rear surrounds? The Legend Series owner's manual says the KSF-S5, and a Klipsch "System Matching Guide" says the RS-7. I see there's also a KSF-S6, and my local dealer says the RS-3 would be his recommendation, as the RS-7 would be overkill (although I do have the space). I also hear that there is now an upgraded RS-3 II (internal wiring? better drivers?), but not an upgraded RS-7 (true?). I plan to mount the surrounds on a vaulted ceiling wall 3-4 feet behind the sofa, at 8-foot height (where the vaulted ceiling living room meets the contiguous non-vaulted ceiling dining room) at positions slightly wider apart than the sofa length.

2. The reviews of subwoofers seem to recommend Paradigm PW-2200, Definitive PF15TL, M&K VX1275, B&W ASW1000 and Velodyne CT-150 (a little big). My music/HT ratio is likely to be 70/30 or even 80/20, so I want a good (fast) musical sub. It seems a 12" would be the best choice for me (most 15" not fast enough for music? - some posts seem to indicate that). Also, when are the new Klipsch RSW's coming out, and what are their expected prices? I'd appreciate any sub recommendations.

3. For interconnects & speaker wire, I was going to do what I thought everyone did - buy some mid-level Monster interconnects and 12-ga. Monster speaker wire, and leave it at that. But so many of these posts seem to say this is so bad, I really don't know what I should get. I don't really know what is the right amount to spend on wire/cables for this level of system, or where I should get them, although I'm perfectly willing to put in whatever is a reasonable amount for good quality. The only really unanimously good review for Monster I saw was for its sub cable.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance...

I started out w/Klf 10's myself. I bought the KSF S5's as suggested by the manual. I later bought a pair of KLF 30's and moved my 10's to the rear with the 5's. I think that a pair of 20's or 30's would be the best. Exspecially when you think of 5 ch stereo.

If another pair of towers isn't an option then you may want to go with the RS7. My KSF S5's are at +5-6 db to keep up with the efficient Legends they are paired with. Because of that I would also suggest the RS 7 to the RS3. I have not heard the new line (rs7) but I think that the KSF S5 or KSP S6 would be a better tone match then the RS 3 for the Legends.

Denon 3300

Klf 30's

Klf 10's

Klf C7

Ksf S5

Paraidgm PW 2200

Since RWMIN covered the speaker(sourrounds) I will give my two cents on subs and cables.

First if you are looking for a musical(tight,fast)sub then the M&K is the best choice.Its fast,tight and does not boom like so many lesser subs.

And then you have HSU and SVS,for the price these outclass the competition.Plain and simple.For around $700 you can get a great sub from HSU or SVS and it will be both musical and have plenty of bass for HT.

And they take little space,too.

The Definitive subs are nothing special,most overhype them.I heard the smaller units as well as the large brutha 18".Not musical at all.The Paradigm 2200 while a good sub in no way can match SVS or HSU on music.

And now to the wire problem,I did read plenty of "reviews" on AudioReview and similar sites,by so called owners who never owned or had a bad experience and bashed the products.

I have several interconacts,cables and power cords from

Monster Cable

Cardas

Kimber

UltraLink

IXOS

Tributaries

Transparent

MIT

Yes all these brands(in several systems,including two "PC" systems)

Now some bash Monster Cable not because it gives poor performance but because they read the HYPE all cable makers will claim and think it will improve the system so much.And Monster Cable is the most popular quality cable,so you get more frustrated peeps who were disapointed to realise the system they have still sounds like a pile of manure.

Monster Cable interconacts and speaker wire are of good quality.I have the Sigma,M1000 and the M2.4B and M2.2's.

I did compare the Monster Cable to other respected names in the "cable" world and I can tell you they are good products.

If you want someting else at a good price then take a serious look at UltraLink.Very high quality at a low price.

TheEAR(s) Now theears