a $21 RC-7 speaker stand....

Ou8thisSN

okay, i'm just now recovering after my first woodworking project. After learning that HiFi Buys wants $65 for a RC-7 stnad, I decided to try and build my own... so, 21 dollars and 10 man hours later, I give you my (almost) finished product.

Just in case anyone's wondering, here's what i used.

2 pine pieces of wood that are: 10" on one side, 9" inch on the other side, and 5.5" wide, and 1 inch deep. This I used to make the "legs". It looks like a trapezoid, and intentionally so because it gives about a 10 degree angle for the RC-7. My Theater screen starts at about 21 inches, so 10 inches here, + the 9 of the RC-7 height, plus about another inch or so of base and top material equals just below the screen height and perfect for me. I called klipsch and Steve at tech support said for my distance (18 feet at LP) 10 degrees would be about right.

This was also the most expensive piece of wood that I originally got from home depot for mounting a projector bracket. When that wasnt necessary, I decided to use this wood for this activity. It'll set you back $8 for 36 inches. I used two pieces out of this wood.

Then I got another, less expensive pieces of wood (2), thats 24" wide, 12" long, and .75" deep. this was another $5. again from home depot. This was used as the top piece and bottom base.

Add in nails (about 2 inches long), spray paint and bumpers (to keep the wood of the speaker from comming directly in contact with the wood of the stand), you're probably looking at around $21-28. We already had the spray paint, so I only needed to buy bumpers and nails.

Also, you'll notice I added two 4" pieces of wood on either side of the back of the stand. this is to keep the RC-7 from sliding back. But after I mounted the speaker, i realized all the weight is at the front. So this may or may not be necessary. Again this is just some 1" x 4" x 1.5" wood i had lying around the house that i got cut by some friendly construction workers cutting vinyl for a house next door.

Right now, as I type, i put the last coat of paint for the base plate. and I'll post pics of the final setup after its ready. But i just couldnt wait to share my joy and sense of manly manhood (power drills, sweat, nails, oh yeah... i'm all that is man!).

it was a really fun and interesting project for someone who's never worked with their hands to build anything. The level of satisfaction you get from doing something yourself is unparallel than just going out and buying a stand.

anyway, i'll shut up now and show you guys the results. if anyone wants anymore help, feel free to ask

this is the full stand

this picture is 2mpixels, and i didnt realize it at first, i dont want to post in this thread because it screws up the spacing, based on what kind of resolution your monitors have. I do have high rez pictures of each of these original pictures, if anyone wants them, let me know.

post-11376-13819269258606_thumb.jpg

thanks for the compliments. No, i've never "made" anything before. I found the design the hardest part to do. I just drew it out on paper first, i didnt think to google and copy a design somewhere. The second part was driving a nail through two pieces of wood... that sucked. But now i have the hang of it, and I think I should first buy a circular saw.

as far as the finishes, i dont really care, eventually that front stage will be completely black so i just wanted a stand that would disappear, so the black does nicely.

Just watched Spiderman-2 on HBO-HD. WHOA! the sound difference is incredible! the dialog is so much clearer, and I can truely appreciate how refined the klipsch sound is. Not muddy at all. I'm so very happy.