Thinking of Changing out Rear Speakers...Opinions Please...

Tim_in_NC

Hi Guys,

My current system consists of the following:

- Yamaha RX-V1300 Receiver

Pushing...

- Klipsch KV-1 Center Channel Speaker

- Klipsch RP-5 Main Speaker Towers (Each including a 550W powered 12" Sub)

- Jamo 98 Rear Speaker Towers

- Klipsch SB-1 Bookshelf Speakers - B Output

I'm going to be moving the KV-1 to the Rear Center and purchasing a RC-7 for my Front Center...

The question I have is in regards to my Rear Speakers... as you see I have 2 Jamo 98 Towers (consist of 1 tweeter and 2 mids, each). I've been enjoying them for some time now but have begun to wonder if I would be better off using some of the Klipsch Surrounds (the wedged type)... Such as the SS-1's or the newer versions...

I'm not sure if I should stick with these towers as they might or might not compliment my other speakers well...

Thanks,

TIM

Well in the end it is your personal "taste" that decides. If you feel the sound and feel of your system is the way you like it, then you should stick with your Jamos.

I prefer my speakers to be matched to each other. Meaning if I have horns in the fronts, i want horns in the surrounds and the center. Especially when listening to multichannel music I find it important that all speakers reproduce the music in the same way. Differnet speakers add different "color" to the sound. This doesnt really matter when watching movies as the surrounds mostly reproduce noises and add to the atmosphere. But it does matter when listening to multichannel music. You wouldn´t want that guitar coming out of your fronts to sound different from the guitar coming out of your surrounds, right?

I use the RS7s as my surrounds. To get them closer to the sound of the RF7s I have linked them to an extra sub. This way they system is more balanced.

Listening to SACD like Diana Krall or Norah Jones is truly great!

Nick

Hmm.... What I do in cases like this is, drive over to my local dealer, load the stuff in my car and install it at home. I listen to it for a day or two. If I like it I go and pay for it if I don´t like it I simply bring it back.

There is nothing better than testing the speakers in their final environment. I really cannot tell you if the RC-7 will match your system, but what I can tell you it is, that it is a great centerspeaker!

Nick

Klipsch recommended the RC-3 and RC-3 II Centers to be used to match the RP-5s back several years ago and from what I can tell...most people with RC-3s, RC-35's, etc... all go back for the RC-7 ... so I don't think I'll have any issues with the RC-7 ...

I was just curious if I needed to match my rears... It sounds as if I don't for DVD playback...

Does the wedged design give a better disbursement of sound by the design vs. a tower design?

Thanks,

TIM

The RC7 is the correct center for you. If you have a mounting area, stands or bookshelves, I'd recommend a pair of RB35's for your rears. I'm leaning against the WDST sprayed sound. WIth todays processing, I personally enjoy a more direct speaker for surrounds, DEPENDING ON THE ROOM AND SEATING SETUP. Can you describe or post photo of your room?

Michael

Hey Guys...

Went back and reviewed the room and sitting areas once again and it would be difficult to use the RS-35's as surrounds in that room due to lack of positioning and mounting availability...

I'm leaning now towards keeping a floorstanding speaker for the Rears... I'll move the Jamos to another room where I can utilize them with an unused Sub for a 2.1 system...

So... with the RP-5's up front (each having a built in Sub) and the RC-7 Center... What Towers should I go for in the Rear? I would think the RF-5 would be too much... Would a used RF-3, RF-3II, or a New RF-35 match better?

Thanks,

TIM