SS Marantz gear to drive Herseys

Nailbender

I used to own Heresy's until 1991, but hadn't yet discovered Marantz. When I returned to the Klipsch fold in 2000 with a pair of KG4's, I drove them with a Marantz 2220b receiver and finally discovered what a magic combination Marantz and Klipsch can be! Also drove my ChorusII's with a Marantz 2385. Outrageous SPL!

Certain Marantz models were offered with dual voltage (I need it here in Korea, too!) The 2238 is one of them, probably a good match with Heresy's. European models were often offered with the black face, very handsome. They seem to show up on Ebay Germany once in a while. Below is the most comprehensive web site I've found on old Marantz equipment, follow some links and you should get the info you need.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

----------------

On 8/23/2005 12:44:55 PM Nailbender wrote:

Thanks for the info Krusty old Sarge! I may look for separates so I can upgrade the amp if/when I get some Cornwalls or Bells. Is the Marantz gear dependable? ----------------

As for dependability, any old gear, Marantz or otherwise is likely to need a thorough pot cleaning, checkup, going through before you hook it up. That said, my old Marantz gear has been pretty trouble free. As far as upgrading, the Cornwalls or Belles are more efficient than the Heresies, so your wattage requirements (all other things being equal) should be less. I'm guessing that a Marantz that sounds good on Heresies will do the same on Belle's or Cornwalls. Closest I've been to a Cornie is my Chorus!

You're probably on the right track for the separates. Dual volt may be a little tougher to find for this route, though. I've no experience with Marantz separates, only receivers. You might find the receiver's sound clean enough to keep, don't know.

There are better tuners out there than the Marantz, as well. if that is an issue for you. Bear in mind that European FM is transmitted a little differently than in the US, so a German tuner may work better for you. If you weren't confused enough, here's a great tuner link!

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

I have a dual-voltage 2238 that I may be willing to part with, but it might be considered a basket case. I was doing some internals upgrades when my life got interrupted (by a woman) 7.gif Hasn't been fired up in a while, so I don't know what it will do. Anyone who buys it from me needs to have a tech handy! Have been toying with the idea of converting the amp section to Tripath via one of the kits from: http://41hz.com

IMHO avoid paying too much money for an old Marantz, Tripath (and similar digital technology) could make them all obsolete. Does the Ramstein Audio Club still exist? Might be something Tripath powered there worth considering.

There, now I've opened a can of worms.

Krusty Old Sarge,

Thanks for the insite. Sorry about your bad luck. That's life though.

I am thinking about 80wpc @ 8 ohms for driving a Hersey. I think I'll shop around for some nice separates. I don't mind doing maintenance, but part searching and rebuilds are another story. It may take a while to find something. I see lots of them for sale needing work/parts.

Wasn't referring to AAFES PowerZone, they are just as dismal here in Korea as there with you!

There used to be an MWR Audio Club on the South side of the base just shy of the bridge that sold stuff AAFES wouldn't carry. Years ago (was where I met Paul Klipsch). Heard they got strong armed by AAFES to trim their line, though. Don't know if MWR is still selling gear, maybe elsewhere in Germany. Wish NEX would take over AAFES management.

80wpc should be plenty, old Marantz power ratings were pretty conservative. My old 2220b (20wpc) was powerful enough to let my KG4's be heard clearly a block away! Sometimes I used it for psywar/harassment/reprisal (in hell, your neighbors are Korean).

The 2270 is probably one of the best loved receivers in the lineup, and easy enough to find.

Nailbender,

check out this sites:

www.springair.de

www.audioscope.net

They offer used and classic hifi gear. Prices are reasonable as products are checked and have warranty.

I bought an old Quad few years ago from springair, all good.

Scope seems reliable, too. They have more classic Marantz receivers and their site is in english, too. Hope this helps.

Keep an eye on Luxman C02/M02. a classic warm sounding combination. Would be ideal for Klipsch and is quite low in price. I had C03/M03 back in the 80's and liked it very much. The C02/M02 have even better reputation.

BTW, didn't want to offend, airman 12.gif

In addition to Dr. Dezibel's links, here's a link to some Marantz on Ebay Germany. If you don't have a German girlfriend yet, could be a good opening line...

http://search.ebay.de/marantz_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

When looking through these listings for something of interest to you, I noted that NONE of what I found openly sported 220 volt capability. Apparently, the Germans who've owned these pieces appreciated their sound enough to run them with a transformer. I was stationed in Germany 7 years myself, so I've got an idea what that can cost!

Thanks for all the info! I've looked at Mom's on Ramstein for gear, but the carry Cerwin-Vega and KEF. YUK!

Meine Frau ist Deutsch. I've looked on e-bay, but since the Euro rate is so bad and I can ship items under 70lbs from the States I've been looking there.

Sunburnwilly,

How much glue did you use to hold your CVs together? My CV D9 broke apart and rattled when I was a young lad after driving it too hard. Particle board cabinet was poorly constructed and the MF/HF drivers suck. Newer stuff may be better.

Actualy I purchased my pair of CV's in '86 . They moved with me 3 times localy , and then I took them to Phx. AZ when I went to school out there . When I sold them , along with my Carver M400-T , and Onkyo 3 head 3 motor casette deck ( To finance my trip back home ) the veneer was coming off a little bit on the bottom risers , but no other problems . They also sold the second day I had them in the paper ! All told , I had them for 4 years and recooped 70% of what I paid for them . Those suckers rocked !