Speaker break fact or fiction

jacksonbart

I've had a very recent experience with multiple new 15" drivers that has been driving me crazy.

I can certify that there is such a thing as driver "break-in", especially with large bass horn drivers. It is so pronounced, that I'm worried that they need to be fully "broken-in" prior to being demoed in stereo pairs - it's that extreme.

DM2.gif

I love seeing this for what it is.

The author's format is classic cover for "I don't know".

First step, introduce the issue by using circular logic as in:

"In large part these differences arise owing to the fact that said drivers spider (often crafted of a varnish-impregnated linen) is not as compliant as it will become once its broken in properly."

Once its broken in properly - breakin is the issue here to be discussed!

Step two, paste about 2-3 pages of equations with lots of subscripts, superscripts, italic and bold is scary, too.

Sure enough, here it comes. Mathoblather.

Conclusion? Speakers are probably broken-in during the manufacturer's Q/A testing, certainly by the time the speaker has been installed and tested in a manufacturer's cabinet, and definitly by the time you have made it 15-30 minutes into the first peice of music you play with them.

This seems like such a non-issue. If it is over so fast, who cares? Its a "problem" that goes away in one day. Max. Tops. En Toto.

Paul

well spoken Paul, saw the blue typeface and matter-of-fact writing style and thought immediately it was my fave writer dragonfyr. But it's you. I agree wholeheartedly. If there is any 'break in' for speakers it's over so soon as to be a moot point.

fin

Michael

Not to mention that the differences between drivers he tried to show in a modelling program...basically compounding errors of the T/S parameters as they are manipulated through equations and in the end there is still only a .02dB difference...Bah, that is so much smaller than the magnitude of uncertainty (aka, if he holds that .2dB spec to be proof, then his measurements better be way more accurate than he posted).

Nevertheless, 1dB is defined to be the smallest step that humans can differentiate between. It's a bit off, but not by a magnitude of 5.

I might even go so far as to claim that the differences between same model drivers could be just as far off.

I believe I have an old DFH (dope from hope) in which PWK says there's no such break-in requirement with respect to loudspeakers and that it's a myth.

-H2G

PS - There seems to be a lot of myths out there in "Audio Land" and a lot of them seem to originate from manufacturers (hmmmm...wonder why?!) and are perpetuated by self-proclaimed "audiophiles."

Never got Pauls link, will try later(DF can be interesting in short doses) but the point is there is little to no break in period needed. Perhaps on track of a CD or LP will do it. No point in cranking your speakers for a few hours to improve bass.

From my limited experiance, 'break in period' is better defined as the owner's ears getting used to the sound of the new speakers/room interaction, then the speakers actually increasing the bass or other frequency output.

Hey there, gang.

I'm a bit ticked off, here.

I refuse to give in to any "standard" set mode of thinking.

It's ridiculous.

No advancements in technology were ever granted to those whose didn't keep an open mind.

Is that so hard to understand?

I'm not saying that one should spend grande' buckolas to achvieve audio bliss via expensive unfounded mods or accessories.

But, why would anyone ever think that anything concerning electron theory is ultimate fact.

It's self defeating and you're just cheating yourself out of the fuller extent of the limitless possiblities.

Hello.....it's still just unfounded theory, after all.

Is it not?

Correct me if i'm wrong.

And is this "theory" not relatively new in the greater scheme of things?

I mean, come on....

This hobby of ours is young by comparision and should not be looked upon as old news and undeniable fact.

Hell, we're still not even sure how electricity works, for crying out loud.

End rant....

I believe in driver/crossover/wire "break in" to a certain degree.

No need to elaborate, but I do want to say that it is very unhealthy to subscribe to the notion that it is not possible at all.

I mean...really.

Do you really think there is equipment out there that is sensitive enough to detect any exceptionally minute difference before and after a "break in" period?

No.

Why does this matter?

Because when your dealing with very low power transients, you get into the grey area of audio where measurements fail and the audible end results prevail.

There is far more to music reproduction than what is readily available for measurement.IMHO.

And furthermore, what exactly is it that we are examining when it come to driver break in?

Driver specs and response?

Hmmmm.

Is that all there is?

I don't think so.

And at what frequencies/ amplitude are we looking at, here.

Middle C on a piano, all by itself, incorporates various harmonics unto itself based upon various physical properties of the medium by which it is being reproduced.

And that is just one note.

Add into the mix the other tone/notes/harmonics and youv'e got a very complex issue to deal with.

Grrrrr.

I apologize.

This ongoing issue of the hardcore naysayers and numbercrunchers defeating any possiblities of the unknown is becoming ridiculous.

100 short years, and we think we've got it licked.

Guess again.

My money is on the possiblity.

This mode of thinking does not require me to purchase anything.

It only helps enlighten me to the plausable.

Until electron theory becomes electron fact, i'm keeping an open mind.

Regards,

John.

Bi-wire, sheild your cables and by all means look to the future for answers.

Above all, enjoy the music and appreciate the hobby.