The greatest musician you (probably) never heard . . .

Allan Songer

Herbie Nichols was truly a genius and it's nice to see that in the last decade or so he is finally getting his due.

Herbie Nichols

He spent most of his career working in Dixieland and Lounge groups but when able to record his own music he produced some of the most advanced and intellectually stimulating trio recordings of all time. Nichols releaed three Blue Note and one Bethlehem LP between 1955 and 1957. A serious listen will reveal that he belongs on the pantheon with Bud Powell, Monk, Art Tatum, etc.

Luckily, all of his recordings are in print and available and I suggest everyone go out and buy them and enjoy their hifi systems. If you look around all of these we released on Japanese vinyl in the 80's. Original LPs are VERY scarce and extremely expensive.

All of these recordings are in GLORIOUS MONO!

B000005HAC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000005HAC/qid=1124999588/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-0806817-5092761?v=glance&s=music

B00005AVE2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005AVE2/qid=1124999631/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-0806817-5092761?v=glance&s=music

I myself listened to some Freddie Hubbard tonight. His own "Open Sesame" and the Tina Brooks classic "True Blue". Freddie is the man!

Allan - this is the first I've heard of Herbie Nichols. Is "The Prophetic Vol.2" worth owing?

If you want these recordings on vinyl I suggest you scour ebay for "The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Herbie Nichols" on Mosaic. The set usually sells for about $125 or so witch is about 1/6 of what the original deep groove vinyl will set you back. The Japanese pressings are good too--figure $35 each. maybe more.

The Bethlehem LP is REALLY REALLY rare--I have see exactly TWO copies in my entire life! I got my copy in the VERY early days of ebay for $40 or so and it's VG with some surface noise like MOST of those damn Bethlehem pressings. I also have the recent CD reissue and that is the way to go to get your hands on this album.

Scott--there is one Herbie Nichols cut on the 7CD set I sent you--CHECK IT OUT!